MMORPG offline play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMORPG offline play?

I have heard that some MMORPG's could be played offline w/o the company that created it's own plans. I have read that Star Wars Galaxies can be played offline, but I didn't want to pay the $25 or so that would be required to find out, if it even worked at all. I suppose that you would have to host your own server of some sort, although I have no idea how to do this. Would there be some sort of other program needed to run the server? If anyone knows how to play any MMO's on their own computers (ie: w/o internet connection) could you tell me how?
    Thanks.

Re: MMORPG offline play?

what's the point of playing a massively multiplayer online role-playing game offline? If you want that just get a typical RPG...

Comment

Please note how few good RPG's follow and enourmous, open world w/ the capability to do almost anythnig. Namely, Morrowind and I have played it to death.

Comment

Originally posted by Xuial
        Please note how few good RPG's follow and enourmous, open world w/ the capability to do almost anythnig. Namely, Morrowind and I have played it to death.
        Try NeverwinterNights. It's not first-person, and it's not in a huge, persistent world, but there literally thousounds of good fan-created modules that can be downloaded (obviously you need a net connection for this part, but that's it), and the campaigns for all three games should take somewhere between 60 and 120 hours, depending on your style of play. The module system should actually work out somewhat similarly to MMORPGs, though keeping a character from module to module requires ether very careful selection or a series of modules (which are usually incredibly good anyway). The better modules and campaigns offer role-playing that is actually comparable to what you would do with real people in an MMORPG or PnP game (or multiplayer NWN...).

Fallout and Fallout 2 are fairly massive, even if quite old (which makes them free), and I still recommend everyone who hasn't played through them. They aren't nearly as long as Morrowind, and not quite as open-ended (though still very much so, as far as single-player RPGs go, and they were revolutionary for their time in that respect). They also take place in the future and involve much more sci-fi than fantasy (not to mention projectile and energy weapons and hand-to-hand combat are much better than melee weapons, which makes them very different). They're also completely turn-based (as opposed to the majority of MMORPGs which are generally simulated real-time or even actually real time. Like NWN, the Fallout series offers some fairly advanced single-player roleplaying.

I could also mention Diablo II and the Ultima series, but I went far enough back in time with Fallour already, and those probably aren't what you're looking for. Although, one of the Ultimas actually offered role-playing on the same level as Morrowind and NWN. D2 is more of a hack-and-slash/powergaming RPG, though I can't see how that isn't what you want if you're trying to play an MMORPG offline.

Other than that, I can't help much. I don't play any MMORPGs (though WoW really tempted me, until I saw the price tag).

Comment

Thanks, I never really could get into NWN, but I have always heard good things about fallout and fallout 2, so i am going to check them out.

Comment

Working...
          X