SATA as a Removable Device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA as a Removable Device?

I'm having issues with my SATA drive showing up in the system tray as a removable device - and it's driving me nuts! Is this normal? Is this not configured correctly? In the BIOS, it shows up as the 'Third Primary Master'. I have nothing connected to the primary IDE channel, and two optical drives connected to the secondary IDE channel. I've connected the SATA power and data to the appropriate adapters on the motherboard. I've installed all the latest nForce chipset drivers that I know of. Has anyone else experience this?

Here are my system specs:

Windows XP SP2
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4 GHz - Newcastle
    ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
    WD Caviar 80 GB SATA w/8 MB cache

Thanks for reading this...

Re: SATA as a Removable Device?

Yes it is normal. SATA supports hot swapping.

Comment

Thanks - I know it does but not as the primary bootable drive, correct? I don't think my motherboard even supports hot swapping...

Comment

It does not matter what it is. If a device is hot swappable, it will show up in windows like that. For instance, if you are able to somehow install windows onto a flash drive, it would still show up as a removable device.

Comment

Fair enough, that seems to be the answer I'm seeing from this limited problem from others...for some reason it REALLY bothers me seeing it down in the system tray...

Comment

Originally posted by aerrichiello
            Fair enough, that seems to be the answer I'm seeing from this limited problem from others...for some reason it REALLY bothers me seeing it down in the system tray...

Don't worry... It always bothers me too, even when it's a device that should be commonly taken in and out of the system. I just don't like the icon being down there.

Comment

Working...
            X