Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading... could use exp. advice!

Hey, been reading forums for a while, great posts gents. Anyway, here goes:

I have a P4 2.66 on a MSI 845PE board, 763 MB of generic DDR 333. Just bought an Nvidia 6600 GT. I've determined that I need a new motherboard to really get things moving, and am looking at ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, with 2 sticks of Corsair XMS 512. (would it be much of a difference if i went with the Corsair Value Select??) Picked out a thermaltake case and 420W supply.

My question is, is this a good choice for Mobo? I've not done much OC, but i'd like to and i hear this board would work. Will I be able to get a lot out of the P4 I have, or would I be better off getting a new chip? Please, ~any~ help or suggestions are welcome... thanks in advance, everyone!
    Last edited by Chrome0011; 02-19-2005, 03:05 PM.

Re: Upgrading... could use exp. advice!

Either that or the Abit IC7 line are usually listed as the best boards for overclocking, but your processor will also play a part in this too depending on which variety you have. Both motherboards offer an excellent platform to play around with but I have heard that Asus suppot sucks really bad when it comes to any warranty work or questions to their support email addresses. I haven't really dealt with this part of the company before but I've heard several folks make statements to this effect so thought you would want to at least know about it before making a buying decision.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'd actually like to stay with MSI if i can get the same performance as i would from that one. It has to be AGP though...

Comment

Ok, after some more research, I'm considering two options for upgrading. Either getting a better motherboard and staying with the P4 OR, get an AMD64 and go from there. So with the costs involved, would i really be getting that much more performance with the AMD? (i also already have an AGP 6600GT that i'll be bringing over from the old comp, so SLI isnt a consideration for now..) ANY help anyone could offer would be awesome...

Comment

my two cents worth: Asus P4C800E Deluxe

The board is great, but if you get that board try and extend your budget to a better cpu ( I guess you could maybe get 3 - 3.1gig oc with your present cpu) The P4C800E Deluxe will support up to a 3.4 Extreme cpu, maybe beyond, I haven't looked for a while ( must be a bios flash by now)

Bring your 6600GT over, it will love it
          Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-23-2005, 03:43 AM.
          E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Working...
          X