Request: Start Menu Folder Context Menu Registry Key Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request: Start Menu Folder Context Menu Registry Key Location

Here's the issue. I use FreshUI from Fresh Devices to do a lot of my registry tweaking in WinXP Pro SP2 instead of having to wade through it myself. Unfortunately, its "Add 'Copy To...'" and "Add 'Move To...'" functions have an interesting bug. After adding the function, right-clicking on a Start Menu subfolder (Start>Programs>Accessories) and selecting Open triggers both "Move To..." and "Copy To..." menus before opening the folder. Of course, removing the function fixes the problem, but I use the commands a lot, so complete removal isn't an option.

My question is: what key path specifically controls start menu subfolder context menu options? Also, what switches trigger the "Move To..." and "Copy To..." menus so I know what to kill?

Finding HKCR\Folder was easy (I had a problem where hitting "Open" in a folder context instead triggered "find". Dunno where that one came from), but the proper key for start menu subfolder contexts eludes me for some reason.

SIDENOTE: A while back I saw a character map call (ALT+numpad combo) that places a blank character in a filename that'll allow "nameless" files. I used it a while back, and it worked fine, but a recent crash reset my theme (and my desktop icon names). I can't remember the keystrokes used anymore, and if someone could tell me, I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Request: Start Menu Folder Context Menu Registry Key Location

Try another approach. The "Move to..." and "Copy to..." functions are provided by X-Setup Pro Version 6.6.300.Final1 (the last free version of this program, I think) and later versions. I recommend this program highly for tweaking.

Also, find item 45. at this page for this registry tweak and untweak: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

The keystrokes I think you're looking for are ALT+0160 .

Comment

Working...
    X