Log On Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log On Windows XP

When I turn my computer on, it used to go straight into windows. I am the only user on the computer. Now when I turn my computer on, it goes to the windows welcome screen, and i have to click my user name. I dont even have a password. wtf? I think I may have goofed things up, but i dont know what i did.

using windows xp.

Re: Log On Windows XP

Have you recently installed .NET from the Windows Update page? This happened when I was playing with the new ATI controller and had to install this package for it to work properly. It has since been removed because of this and other issues, but if you find a work-around let me know. Probably something simple but I didn't go digging too deeply at the time.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Idk but i did recently do a windows update. if i just uninstall the .NET then i wont have this problem correct?

Comment

Installing .NET was what caused the problem on one of my systems. I don't know if it will work for you, but it did for me.
        My Toys

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

I'm a xp newby shocked to see an active thread on exactly my problem. The .net thing explains the how. But i have several .net apps, one machine in question is a PVR, where constantly having to log in is a huge pain in the ass.

Does no one have a way to get rid of the login screen, and stop the session timeouts that bring it back again & again?

Comment

I'll leave that one for someone who is more familiar with the .NET issues. In my case I simply scrapped it from my system and lived happily ever after.
              My Toys

Comment

Control panel>user accounts>change the way users log on or off>uncheck Use Welcome Screen
                E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Working...
                X