Dell 8400 upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell 8400 upgrade

Upgraded my Dell 8400 (530)with ax64bit chip and it worked (630)

Anybody done this with a Dell?

Re: Dell 8400 upgrade

64bit? what are you talking about?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

As in he went from a Pentium 4 530 to a 64-bit Pentium 4 630. It's about the most colossal waste of money I've ever seen that didn't involve eBay.

Comment

I dont even know that to say to that other than to back up what Yawgm0th said.
        You traded your P4 530 which clocks at 3GHZ for a P4 630 which clocks the same, the only diffrence being the 630 having another 1MB L2 cache and EM64, not a worthy investment, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Amd_Lover2004
          You traded your P4 530 which clocks at 3GHZ for a P4 630 which clocks the same, the only diffrence being the 630 having another 1MB L2 cache and EM64, not a worthy investment, period.
          Both the 530 and 630 have 1MB L2 caches but the 630 does have SpeedStep which the 530 doesn't though still I have to agree at the waste of $'s on a Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
            Both the 530 and 630 have 1MB L2 caches but the 630 does have SpeedStep which the 530 doesn't though still I have to agree at the waste of $'s on a Dell.
            Why a waste of money? Sold old chip on ebay for £99 and Iam able to get Win xp 64x for $22 from Microsoft. Had the system since Jan 2005 so had been using it.

Its a cheap way to future proof my system, + Dell said it could not be done

In addtion my 630 chip does have 2mb L2 cache unlike the 530 chip I had so not a waste of money for me.

Comment

The extra cache does nothing, and XP 64-bit is essentially unusable save a few specific applications, most of which involve video encoding. By the time it gets significant driver support from hardware manufcaturers, Dell itself included, Longhorn will be out. Even then, though, there won't be much overall performance increase from 64-bit. The main advantages to it are huge increases in certain, specific areas, and the ability to address over 4GB per processor core. The former it irrelevant to most people, and the latter is irrelevant now since no chipsets out there that I know of support addressing more than 4GB of RAM anyway, and by the time that's a useful amount for a single processor, a P4 630 will be hopelessly outdated. If we're lucky, being 64-bit will make up for the additional reasources that will be used under Longhorn. Maybe even games will start to take advantage/ (Although as the fake 64-bit FarCry patch has shown us, that don't seem to get anything out of it now)

So what would you spend for the OS from MS and the CPU from Intel, after subtracting the sale of your old CPU? £60 or £70 or so? That's a pretty significant amount of money for a hardware upgrade that will do somewhere between very little and absolutely nothing. I can understand if you have an application that will recieve huge improvements under 64-bit mode now, but for simple future-proofing it makes no sense. You could just get it in the future, when it's cheaper, or you when you could afford something froim Intel that actually has a higher clockspeed (and works on the same chispet, as Intel is screwing around with different chipsets and letting old ones die). Besides, it's pretty hard to future-proof a PC if it can't use dual-core. That provides huge benefits now, which will increase dramatically as software starts to take advantage of it in the near future.

Comment

DELL

Dude, you should have built your own.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate
                Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
                X