Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doom 3 and ATI Radeon 9800 PRO issues

Hi guys,

I really hope this forum finds the solution for my problem. I have a ROSEWILL ATI Radeon 9800 Pro VGA installed in my Dimension 4600 system (details in signature). I have had no issues playing Thief: Deadly Shadows, but whenever I start Doom 3, I get a checkerboard pattern on my screen, during movies and game play (artifacts, right?). The frame rates are fine, but it's that pattern that's annoying (needless to say). I saw some other forums which indicate this phenomenon could be due to heating. If that's the case, can anyone suggest me a good cooling system for my card ?

Hope to really receive some help

Re: Doom 3 and ATI Radeon 9800 PRO issues

Overheating of the video card is very likely which is possibly caused by the poor airflow of the Dell case itself. An intake fan modded into the side panel over the video card would cool it down.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
      Overheating of the video card is very likely which is possibly caused by the poor airflow of the Dell case itself. An intake fan modded into the side panel over the video card would cool it down.
      Thanks WAYOUT. Can you suggest a good cooling unit for my ATI card?

Comment

The best cooling unit in the world won't work if your case can't supply enough airflow for it to work.

Comment

Liquid maybe if he doesn't want to mod the case. You will still need a small area to slide the line into but it's smaller than using fans. It will also cost you a lot more. Can't dissipate heat better than liquid. I'm not sure with a Dimension 4600 I'd go balls-to-the-wall on my cooling options. Most Dells aren't set up to be tweaked.
          But even with liquid cooling you're going to want airflow to your case, even just minimal, but still some airflow. Maybe invest in a new case Garret. You can get a chassis with a better psu and airflow for pretty cheap now. I'm assuming Dell motherboards are ATX or miniATX boards with that last statement.

Comment

Working...
          X