BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

right now I have a PNY FX5200 ultra 128mb card.. running at agp4x cuase thats as high as I can go.. and of course its not that good of a card.. yet I can play just about anything I throw at it, tho HL2 was a bit rough in some parts of the game...

but anyways... I see that best buy has the BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP card on sale at $150, plus is also says free pc game up to $50 when you purchase it... so I was thinking that this might be a good chance for me to step up to the 6* series cards, cuase $150 for a new card plus a game doesnt sound too bad.. (was thinking that I could wait till later in the week and pick up battlefield 2 with it...)

but anyway.. would anyone recommend me getting this.. especially to upgrade from my 5200u.. and I dont have the money (or the desire) to spend a lot of money on a new card..

I just want something for newer games.. Like I know my 5200u isnt going to play dod:source good when it finally comes out..
    Last edited by diamond-optic; 06-19-2005, 04:25 PM.

Re: BFG Tech 6200 OC 256MB DDR AGP

I actually bought this card in may from best buy for $175. The card is absolutely fantastic for the price. I can play Doom 3 & Halflife 2 without any trouble or problems and been cracked out on the battlefield 2 demo which they say won't play on anything less then a 5700.

Obviously, with everything on high and high resolution it's jittery, but 99% of the time, I'm sitting at 1024x860 anyways which the card can run perfect with every setting on high. So it's perfect for me.

I used rivatuner and have my memory overclocked at 451 and the chip is overclocked 415... No problems at all. Could probably take it alot higher. Supposedly the chips in these cards are made extremely well. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

EDIT:::
    On a side note, battlefield 2 (which is fantastic) requires a minimum of 128mb of ram on your video card. And recommends 256mb, Games coming out now are starting to take advantage of the higher ram amounts on cards, so I would advise getting no less then 256. Thats one of the main reasons I bought my BFG 6200OC 256mb AGP
    Last edited by relic2279; 06-19-2005, 06:15 PM.

Comment

oh nice.. thanks for the reply...

best buy says bf2 is avail. on thursday.. which is good cuase thats my other day off this week.. so I'll have time to get over there and then pull my pc out and put the card in and etc etc...
      but i mean its got to be way better then my 5200u, tho it seems that a lot of ppl complain about the 5200u performance and I really dont have much trouble with it at all.. but then again my card and system are completely tweaked out..

and I just remembered that I got a $50 gift card thingy.. so it's gonna actually cost 'me' even less.. so I dont see any reason that its not worth it...

thanks once again...

Comment

On sale at $150? That's rediculous. A 6600GT isn't even $170, and it's a much better card. A regular 6600 will be around $115, and that's also a much better card than the 6200. A Radeon 9800 Pro is in between those two in price and performance, as well. There are much, much better optiond than that over-priced Best Buy card. That's a really high price for a really low-end card. Sure, it'll run all the latest games at 800x600 and some at 1024x768. You know what else will do that? A $40 card from two generations ago. A $60 last-generation card will handle almost all games at 1024x768. The cards I mentioned will all do that and higher with higher image quality settings than a 6200.

Get a 6600GT, 6600, or 9800 Pro. If Best Buy doesn't have them priced around what I mentioned for them, go with Newegg.com.

And BTW, your 5200 will play DoD: Source just fine. Don't expect it to be much, if any more demanding than Half-Life 2, which a 5200 will play (not at the highest quality, but a 6200 won't play it at high quality either).

Comment

No offence,

But there is a reason the BFG 6200OC 256mb AGP cards are priced higher then some 6600's. Even on newegg and pricegrabber.

It's because it's a better card. Sure, you can get a 6600 128mb card that will score similar to a BFG 6200OC for 50$ less, but what your paying for is the ram. And if you read my sidenote, why play a game with 'minimum required' specs?! Future games going forward are going to require 256mb+ as recomended ram. Supposedly f.e.a.r is going to 'require' 256mb of ram on your video card.

I'd rather purchase a card that will last longer. Over on guru some people are complaining that their 5700 can't play BF2, and the reason being is ram. My brothers 5500 plays it quite nicely, and he has 256mb of ram on his card.

So, it's no longer an issue of 'excessive' ram on a video card. Games are using it now. BF2 is the first and foremost example.

(as the old saying goes: 'You get what you pay for')

---EDIT
          I'm unsure what you are talking about, my BFG 6200OC 256mb agp plays half-life 2 at 1024x860 on high flawlessly...
          Last edited by relic2279; 06-19-2005, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Yeah...My ATI 9600 mobility (64 meg AGP) plays BF2 at 1024x768...ram? I think not. It mostly depends on your shaders, core/mem speeds, and cpu speeds as well as system ram and it's speed. Yawg is most certainly right. Their 5700's couldn't play solitair without some lag I bet. The geforce 5 series weren't the most noteable geforce cards out there. Trust me...I still have one. You are much better off with the 6600s or the 9800 pro. Especially for what you want to pay. And on high, do you have your AA and AS settings turned up?

Comment

Sure.. yeah.. I'll take your word for it over EA games word, that video ram isn't needed.

There is a reason they say 128mb ram is 'minimum amount' required and 256mb 'recommended'. Have you played the game yet? And yes, I play it with 4x AA. I have everything on high except dynamics.

Your right about one thing though, games for the most part did depend on cpu, core & mem speeds. Looks like that is changing though, and it's been overdue. Finally, games like BF2 are taking advantage of the higher ram amounts. Us 'higher ram' users are now going to start getting a return on our investment.

Again, you get what you pay for.

EDIT-------

Quote from EAT@JOES - "And on high, do you have your AA and AS settings turned up"

I just noticed. I doubt you have ever played BF2, there IS NO AS setting in the game. If your going to come, come correct.
              Last edited by relic2279; 06-19-2005, 11:19 PM.

Comment

There are no games that need 256MB and none will for quite some time. There are a few that can make use of it, and a few more coming that will, but that card will not last. It's already low-end. By the time a game comes out that needs 256MB, it will be unusable because it's so weak. My 128MB 9800 Pro can handle any game out there at 1024x768 or higher with high settings on. Most can be handled at 1280x960 with the highest settings on. It will probably last through the next generation of games before it becomes truly low end. A 6200 is already low end, regardless of how much RAM it has on it.
                Originally posted by Relic
                I'm unsure what you are talking about, my BFG 6200OC 256mb agp plays half-life 2 at 1024x860 on high flawlessly...
                Try something more intensive... Half-Life 2 isn't the strongest or most intensive game graphically. Try FarCry, or even Doom 3. I guarantee a 6600 or better with only 128MB of memory will play the game on higher settings.

As for BF:2, my Radeon 9600 (128MB) handles it at 1024x768 with mostly high settings. I would actually expect a 256MB 6200 to do better or at least about as well, but then a 128-bit 9550/9600 shouldn't cost more than $100. That's without overclocking it, and on a machine that's limiting it with CPU and RAM (2200 T-Bred with 512MB of RAM).

Regardless of the 256MB debate, you can get a 256MB 6600 for less than $150. A 256MB 9800 Pro is only about $160. So even if you truly think you need a 256MB card, a 256MB 6200 is still a very, very bad purchase. There's simply no argument that it's better than a more powerful card with the same amount of RAM. There's also no argument against the fact that 256MB 6200s cost less than $100. Really, regadless of the whole 256MB thing, the fact that you can get the same card for about $60 less than Best Buy wants is pretty significant, as is the fact that you can get a better card (256MB even) for $20 less than what Best Buy wants.

Comment

QUOTE="There's simply no argument that it's better then a more powerful card with the same amount of ram'

If you read my posts above, that's not what I'm arguing at all.
                  What I'm saying is, given a choice, between a plain 6600 128mb vs BFG's 6200 with 256mb, the BFG is a smarter choice, because it will last longer. And thats 'exactly' why it's more expensive.

Games don't require 256mb of ram? According to EA Games website, BF2 recommends 256 megabytes of video ram.

---Sidenote:
                  At computex this year, they had a 6800 with 1 gig of video ram (according to AnandTech). Obviously that much ram is overkill but the trend is setting, starting with fear and BF2, games will be using & taking advantage of the higher ram if not outright requiring it like BF2.

Comment

Originally posted by relic2279
                    If you read my posts above, that's not what I'm arguing at all.
                    What I'm saying is, given a choice, between a plain 6600 128mb vs BFG's 6200 with 256mb, the BFG is a smarter choice, because it will last longer. And thats 'exactly' why it's more expensive.
                    Why isn't that what you're arguing? This isn't a topic about 256MB video cards. It's about whether or not diamond-optic would be wise in getting a 256MB BFGTech 6200 OC.
                    I actually bought this card in may from best buy for $175. The card is absolutely fantastic for the price.
                    This is what I'm arguing with. That's a terrible price, as is $150. We could argue about a weaker 256MB card vs. a stronger 128MB card for quite a while, but that's not what this thread is about.

Granted, I do disagree with your insistence on 256MB cards. As I said, a more powerful 128MB card will do better, and this is a proven fact, not just in benchmarks. Take a 128MB 9800 Pro or 6600GT for yourself and compare it your current card. There's no way in hell it will outperform them/run at the same settings comfortably in any games, regardless of EA's silly recommendations. My recommendation for this user would be a 128MB 6600GT unless he's got some money to spend on something better, bu, more importantly I wouldn't let him consider a 256MB 6200 for $150 when a 256MB 6600 is cheaper.

Comment

Ok. I'll give you that. A 6600 will outperform my card. Not by a landslide or anything, but it will. (With the OC'ing ability of the 6200, thats even arguable)

What I won't give you is the fact that it's not worth buying. Looking toward the future, which is what everyone should do when buying something, you have to take into account what will be the standard say, 9 months to a year from now. If you don't, then your just ignorant.

Now what exactly will be more valuable in a year from now?

Considering the video ram requirement trends of video games (and if you say their recommendations are silly, well, I'm gonna have to disagree) the 256mb video card wins out.

As I said, on guru, some people with 5700's can't even PLAY BF2, yet those with 5500 and 256mb's of ram can? Obviously the 5500 is more valuable. Same scenario with the 6200 vs 6600.

To the orginal poster, go with more ram on your card, it's different then it was 2 years ago. Games are starting to require it more. If you can afford a 6600 with 256mb, go for it. But definately get a 256mb card. You won't regret it.

Comment

What I won't give you is the fact that it's not worth buying.
                        I'm not saying that, so you certainly shouldn't give me that. I'm saying it isn't worth buying for $150. The 6200 isn't a bad card for a sub-$100 purchase. in fact, it's the only viable choice for PCI Express systems (BTW forget about any posts here in which I recommended the 9800 Pro, as it's obviously not PCI-E).

As for where games go with RAM usage, we'll see. I think the next year's worth of games should be able to play fine on the more powerful 128MB cards. Why do I think that? Quite simply, developers won't release games that nobody can play. A year from now the majority of all gamers, and possibly even the majority of those more knowledgeable with what sort of sytem they're running, will still be using 128MB cards. Only recently have games started coming out that are practically unplayable on 64MB cards. BF:2, if I'm not mistaken, is the first to "require" a 128MB card, and pretty much anything but maybe Doom 3 can be played on one. At this point, the majority of the user base has switched to 128MB cards, so this is no problem. But 256MB is a different story, and IMO it won't be necessary for at least a year, at which point it will become like 64MB was last year: the bare minimum. I wouldn't expect it be below minimum requirements for even longer than that.

Comment

And for arguments sake; I do play bf2 on my 9600, and you turn AA and AS on through Nvidia control panel or ATI catalyst or any third party tweaking software. Yes it does not run very well, but it runs. EA's remarks on requirements are to boost graphics card sales as always. Hince the "Nividia" logo before the game starts. Best Buy prices are marked up so high and they don't even market products that are a better choice. Trust me, I've worked there for 3 years. You are much better (price and performance) with a 6600.

Example. I can buy a Belkin firewire cable for $30. With our discount (5% above invoice) it costs us $1.50. The fact that a 6200 costs more than a 6600 somewhere else (both 256MB) should be obvious enough. That's why you don't "get what you pay for". I hope that information helped. I'm also not trying to be obnoxious, just telling you why that statement was wrong. Third party retailers rape you with markups so bad.

Comment

well one main reason i was looking at that was cuase it would be easier for me to goto a store and buy it lol.. plus the bfg's OC card is clocked faster then most 6600s... plus if its 150 plus I can get a game (bf2 - $50) with it, thats like 100 for the card...

but anyway I was looking on newegg...

and I was looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814145112
                            CHAINTECH SA6600 Geforce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

but im not sure what will work in my pc.. becuase it says under 'Interface' that its agp 4x/8x, but then under requirements it says you need an 8x slot..

well my mobo is only agp 4x.. so IDK...

i wish I could just afford a whole new pc...

Comment

Diamond i would get that 6600, if you are not that bad in a tight budget, i would go for a 6600gt. But to solve your question, i think it will work on your agpx4, it is saying so itself on the name.

Comment

Working...
                              X