overclocking a K8n neo2 platinum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking a K8n neo2 platinum

I was wondering if anyone can help a n00b overclocker learn his way around. here are my specs:

520 watt psu
    amd 64 4000+ San Diego
    Nvidia 6800 Ultra 256 (AGP)
    2 gigs of XMS ddr400 @ ddr333 due to motherboard limitations 2.5-3-3-7(default specs) 2.53-3-6 (corsair recommendation, not stable)
    audigy 2 zs sound card
    two 80 gig WD hard drives (8 meg cache IDE)

I have tried tweaking the settings and its always unstable...so any help would be great..i really dont know what im doing but i am trying to learn.

ty
    Last edited by Agent2k6; 06-21-2005, 08:09 AM.

Re: overclocking a K8n neo2 platinum

For starters try 2.7-2.8v on that memory.

Comment

o ive already done that...sorry forgot....but if i try and manually change the timing to what corsair said is best for my board i get graphic glitches and im severly unstable

im also running with a 520watt psu

Comment

Try taking 1GB of the RAM out and see what you can do with it then.

Also, change the tRAS of the RAM (the last number... 2-3-3-7) to a number between 9 and 13, with 10 almost certainly being the sweet spot.

Comment

well i have it running dual ddr333...im happy with that..i just want to squeeze as much juice out of this machine as i can...ill try out your timings though..lower the number the better? is that how this works?

Comment

Not with tRAS. With CAS, tRCD and tRP (e.g. the 2-3-3 part), lower is better. A tRAS setting will vary much more based on what platform, chipset and sometimes even what memory is being used.

If you want more performance, you'd be running DDR 400. That will perform better than dual channel DDR333, even if it's half as much RAM. IIRC, the problem with having 2GB being forced to run at 166MHz was with earlier core and wasn't a problem with San Diego, but perhaps that's not the case and the nForce 3 Ultra chipset itself is the problem. Maybe a BIOS update will help fix that. If not, I would remove the 1GB stick. Very few applications will make use of more than 1GB, and certainly not to the point where DDR333 with reduced timings is better than DDR400 with good timings.

Speaking of timings, if you do keep the 2GB in, try moving it to 3-3-3-10 if it's not stable. Having 2GB can cause issues with timings, too. Also try puttin the Command Rate at 2T if nit's not already. Again, I thought this was all a core limitation with Newcastle and Clawhammer, since the A64 memory controller is on-die, but if I'm wrong doing what I described may help.

Comment

ok ill take out 1 gig..see if it picks it up at ddr400...am i right with saying this particular MB takes the dual channel in the 1st and 2nd bay? instead of the 1/3 and 2/4? i think i read that somewhere.

i am unaware of a setting in this bios to change it to 2t but i know its default on that so i am good to go. I unlocked the hidden bios setting and i still didnt see the 2t/1t option..ill post when i get home and try the 3-3-3-10 then the 1 gig out option...standby

Comment

Yes... 1/2 or 3/4 for dual channel
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

the timings did the trick...great call.....running smooth...fast...and with all slots full for a 2 gig ddr400 system...ty guys.

ok..how would i safely OC the processor?

Comment

Holy water, a bible, a purple sash, a young priest and an old priest...oh wait. Take the multiplier up through your BIOS if you can. If you're getting good speeds already you don't really need to OC it. But for fun slowly take up the speeds and find the point to where it becomes unstable. Be sure to keep checking temp settings. If it doesn't stop going up, then get the priests.

Comment

Does the San Diego core allow for full multiplier manipulation? I thought AMD disabled this in all but the FX series of processors.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

I've read about people changing it on that core. I'm not sure though since I've never actually seen one or have done it myself. How else can it be overclocked?

Comment

Take the multiplier down or leave it where it is and increase the base clock (e.g. "HTT" or "FSB").

Comment

Working...
                          X