Probs with installing ATI Cat 5.6s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probs with installing ATI Cat 5.6s

I have an ATI Radeon 9600 and I want to upgrade to the newest Catalyst 5.6 w/Catalyst Control Panel drivers. I decided to do it today, so I went about the ATI site and downloaded the correct file.

I uninstall in the "Add/Remove Program" area first the ATI Software Uninstall and then the ATI Display. After a reboot, I fire up NFR to clean up the last of the scattered ATI files hiding in the system directory. With all that done and a final reboot, I click the setup.exe file in the unzipped drivers folder.

Setup fires up and goes through the regular procedures and everything seems honky-dory. The little installation bar hits goes through to completion on the drivers install. Then the error pops up. It tells me it has encountered an error during install and that I should first install VGA drivers on my card.

Ok...what? I never had this occur before. Anything I try doesn't seem to work. Uninstall and then reinstall the 5.6s. No go. Try the 5.5s. Same error. Try the 5.4s (the last version I had). Same problem. Go ALLLL the way back to the original drivers that I got with the card (3.4 I believe) and try those. Same exact problem.

Does anyone know possibly where I went wrong?

Re: Probs with installing ATI Cat 5.6s

You're doing the version of the Catalyst drivers with the ATI Control Panel... do you have the latest .NET installed on your box? They are required for this version of the drivers. If you do not have this installed you can get it from the "Optional" download section of Windows Update.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Re: Probs with installing ATI Cat 5.6s

Yes, but that is inconsequential as it happens with the drivers that don't require the .NET upgrade anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X