Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualified Host name?? DNS server???

Hi guys!

All right.. here are 2 questions for answering.. which might help anyone else looking at this thread.:

When you come to setting up the nework when you first install Linux either Mandrake or Red Hat, probably others. *S* It asks you to add a "Qualified Host Name" suchs as "mybox.mycar.mybusiness.com" .. What is a Qualified Host name anyway? and does it make a difference what you put in there? What if you just put in your names such as "vernon" ? I think default is "localhost"

Then theres the DNS server? Do I put in my IP address for my computer as in 192.168.0.1 ? or do i put in the IP of my Internet Service Provider, or another IP address? Mandrake always puts in 192.168.0.2 by default, but that is the IP address of my wifes computer. Is that a "virtual" number, where I could assign it something like " 192.168.0.55" where it sets up a virtual server on my computer as such?

I've managed to get Red Hat 8.2 installed, and running. Problem is I can't get out to the internet. I can ping my local computers and get a response back. And I've seen it ping outside internet sources and get a response back, but you just type in a name like www.yahoo.com and it doesn't translate the name to IP address.. something to do with the DNS I believe.

Thanks for looking and hopefullly there might be a response back, and hope it's not TOO complicated!

Cheers!

well, I don't know if it applies to Redhat or not, but I can only assume it is similar:?:

I used;
    Host Name - Linux
    Domain name - Local
    Domain Server List - I used my ISP's Primary and Secondary IP's
    Domain Search List - just left those blank

This is just my system - not networked to any other in the house.
    But being as I'm on dial-up the IP address of this computer is disabled automagically until a connection is established - similar to the way windows handles it.

I hope that is helpful, I'm really not up on this Linux like I want to be yet.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

You have to use your isp's DNS or set up a name server on your wife's machine.
      p-two.net

Comment

Well, hello guys! Here from Mandrake 8.2 running Opera 5 browser. I got to thinking about it and checked out our computers in the network setting in our Windows systems. I had set the default gateway to our "web beetle" which is nothing more than a little computer that holds information as to dial up number, username, password, modem type, commands, and PORTS! Yes it holds a multitude of Ports, and we have all had it set on our windows running computers at BOTH the default gateway AND as the DNS first server seach order. It's kind of like a little firewall thingy, or just imagine a little comptuer, the size of a small 4 port hub that holds about 2 mb of information.. not a lot, but just enough to receive requests from the hub via the RJ-45 twisted pair ehternet cable, and send it out via crossover patch cable (serial port 1) to an adapter that fits on the external modem. Well, it seems to work, because i'm in Mandrake 8.2 now using this program I know nothing about called Opera, and well... here I am!

That qualified host name still has me a bit befuddled though.

Now.. to get the e-mail thing working rigth with KMail I might need a little help there.

Do I use "mail.i2k.com" as I do in my windows set up?
        Do I use "my address to my ISP ?? 63.??.??.3 ( I do know the rest, but for safety sake I hate to give out ALL sorts of info in a public room.)

Or, would I give it the web beetles address, since it has the ports already figured in for POP3 and STMP ??

Opera is a little different than IE 6 isn't it?? LOL

Cheers

Comment

I just use my isp's mail server addy in kmail, but I'm on a direct connection, give your mail server a go and if it dosn't work then try the beetle.
          p-two.net

Comment

Well I set the e-mail to mail.i2k.com and seems to be working alright now! *S* When I clicked on the link it took me here using Konqueror !! Apparently Konqueror is the default browser in my Mandrake system, huh? Only thing is it sure scrunches up the window where you type replies too

I think I got the e-mail configured right now. A local guy that uses Linux exclusively, told me that my mail return address was frost @localhost.localdomain so I got that corrected.

Later guys!

Cheers

Comment

One thing.. I can't believe how clean and clear Konqueror web browser is. but it has an annoying delay to the typing.
              Cheers!

Comment

That annoying delay is due to qt2 and a bug that only happens when animated giffs don't have a deley set in the frame rate, this is fixed in qt3 but for now it can be worked around by right clicking and selecting "Stop Animations". Apart from that konqueror is an excellent browser and the one that I use all the time.
                p-two.net

Comment

I played with Knoquerer, Mozilla and Nautilis ....I use Mozilla cause I found that Konquerer did not always save pics and the like but tried to store the link instead.....all the browsers are GOOD and to my mind at least match IE.

Comment

Knoquerer? LOL@Oldbugger - I can't tell was that a typo or deliberate :D
                    Mostly I use mozilla it just took me awhile to get fonts assigned that looked decent & easy to read.
                    Just one of the fun things about going to a new OS - learning about the new fonts
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Nah....just a typo...got fingers like stumps...(hey matches the rest of me) .....not very dextrous

Comment

Well I thought it was cool, I may be refering to it like that in the future:thumb:

Comment

So what's qt3?? I've head of qt pie. *grin* and q tips, q balls.. (belong to q giant's I'm told LOL), but not enamored with the likes of qt3. looks like I'm down a quart! LOL I wouldn't even know where to find the qt2 on my system if It reached out and bit me on my processor! *G*

Is this a downloadable thing?

Hey, and how do you put an Icon on your destop of a program you like to run frequently? MS, just right clicked the program, or created it as a shortcut from the desktop.

Finally got the fonts the way I like them.. something like 12 or 14 .. i Know... but I'm a little poor of vision, and need all the help I can get. They told me to stop doing it or I would go blind,... but.. well.. I figured glasses weren't all that bad.

later guys!

Cheers!

Comment

QT is the tool kit that kde runs on, you can get all the goods here.
                            p-two.net

Comment

Hey Frost,
                              the one real good thing about Mozilla is in the "view" menu...you can increase the size of the fonts with one click....I often need 150%......we oldbuggers need some help at times....:D :D :D

PS for the icon....just drag and drop on the desktop and it'll ask you if you want to move, copy or something else....I choose copy and hey presto ...icon

Comment

Working...
                              X