New Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Laptop

I am buying a new laptop and want to have a good balance between performance and mobility. My old laptop was an alienware, which has tons of performance, but on 30 minutes of battery life. In my reserch of laptops it has come down to either a pentium m, or the new AMD 64 but turion. which processor would yall recomend? Also, is the centrino any good for gaming applications?

Re: New Laptop

If your looking at gaming on this laptop, go with the Turion. While the "Centrino" (hype BS but that's another story) will probably get longer battery life, the Turion should give you at least a few hours on a fully charged battery, likely longer if you're not out saving the world from hungry aliens.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

ok sounds good, and just for general knowlege...which is better, PentiumM or Centrino?

Comment

Centino isn't a processor. It's a combination of a Pentium/Celeron-M and Intel's wireless adapter.

As for the CPU, I'm going to have to disagree with Darth. The video of the laptops will matter much more. In fact, it won't make a difference which you have unless you're getting a fairly high-end gaming laptop. Good luck finding a Turion system with better video and the same price as a Pentium M system. Unless I missed something just now, every one of HP's Turion systems uses ATI xpress 200. Even Dell offers X300 with most of the P-M systems. But even then, it kind of depends on your budget. A Turion system may better than a P-M of the same price if you're talking aboiut a lower budget.

Comment

I think that is only because it is a relatively new setup. Athlon64 notebooks already have the X700 graphics coming out and I saw a couple of Turion based notebooks from Acer coming with the X600 series graphics. Granted it isn't the same as the mobile 6800Ultra you can get on high-end Intel systems, but given a little time I think you'll see the same graphics available from the AMD line.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

I certainly agree. I'm just talking about right now, although I haven't checked Acer's lineup recently or any of the other mainly off-the-shelf OEMs. Then again, I might prefer to stick with one of the first-tier OEMs if I were buying a laptop.

Comment

Working...
            X