Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to build a gaming/workstation/server pc

i have unlimited money because i am getting funded

um are itanium 2 processors and opterons good starters im trying to build a eight way system

Re: I need to build a gaming/workstation/server pc

Is this going to be used as a dedicated gaming server, or is going to be used as a server on which games are also played? There's a big difference. A gaming server require little more than a video card that can run the game (and often it doesn't even need that). A budgetless gaming system, on the other hand, ought to use 7800GTXs in SLI.

What kind of workstation are we talking about here? Video encoding? Image editting? How about 3D rendering? In the case of the latter, your video card choices are also changed, especially if this system is to be used for regular gaming, and not just servers.

What kind of server? File? Web? Database? Dedicated gaming (as I said)?

Itaniums are highly irrelevent for this type of system, seeing as they aren't even x86 processor. Opterons are the probably the wisest choice for this system, unless your answers to the above questions are far different from what I expect.

Do you want a system with eight processors, eight cores, or eight threads? You could get eight Opterons, four dual-core Opterons, four hyperthreaded Xeons, or two dual-core, hyperthreaded Xeons. Again, the wisest choice is probably going to be four dual-core Opterons. Even if it's a budgetless system, getting more than four complicates things as far as motherboard and case go to the point where it's easier to just buy a server.

Comment

Um i need a gaming server and i need a server for gaming

i heard a eight way opteron system is good

Comment

Then why call it a workstation in the title? And, by "server for gaming" do you simply mean you'd play games on it, in addition to using it to act as a gaming server?

It would add a tremendous amount of complication and really wouldn't add much. You'd have to either run several different games or many instances of the same game. I'd say you should either go with a two-way dual-core Opteron system or a single Athlon 64 X2. It would be best use RAIDed hard drives as well, RAID 10 or at least 01 (which is slightly worse, but simplifies things over RAID 10 if you went with a single Athlon 64 X2). SATA would make the most sense, though with an unlimited budget SCSI would make sense if you went with the two-way Opteron system. You'd probably be best with a two GBs of RAM for the Athlon 64 X2 system or 4GBs for the dual-Opteron system. Although, that may be totally unecessary, depending on what games are to be played.

What games would be played on it? Any, in theory, or something specific?

Comment

rofl!
          I hope this this guy is joking...

Comment

no im not

Comment

I have a gaming server on a PIII 900MHz p.o.s. and it runs like a glove. 512 PC133 sdram!!! If you're not going to have tremendous traffic then just buy some pre-made server or build a cheap one and make a claim for a huge amount of money and buy a car or something. Or some really soft toilet paper.

Comment

yeah anyway **** zalman
                Last edited by Darthtanion; 09-22-2005, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I have no idea what you're ranting about but goodbye.
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

Working...
                  X