Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what should I upgrade first? CPU or GPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should I upgrade first? CPU or GPU?

Re: what should I upgrade first? CPU or GPU?

I would agree that the video board will give you more immediate performance advantages, but when you upgrade the processor (and motherboard too IMHO), I'd look into a 800MHz model instead.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

If you upgrade the video card to a 9550 or better, that system will handle any game out there.

Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading the processor alone. The chipset won't run an 800MHz FSB model at full speed, and the 533MHz models are so slow that it's hardly worth upgrading. After you get the video card, save money to eventually replace the CPU and motherboard with an Athlon 64 based system.

Comment

In my opinion, you should look for either a 9700 PRO or 9800 PRO. The motherboard is definitely too outdated to spend the cash for a CPU. And if you get a 9800 PRO, it should run well in that system and give you great performance and even remain usable for a couple of more years. Your best bet would definitely wait on the CPU upgrade until you can get an AMD64+motherboard.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
        X