couple ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple ?'s

Im kinda new at overclocking i just had a few quick questions.

I understand about the running hotter when you overclock, and i get some of the basics, What i don not understand is the diff between a multiplyer anf fsb oc'ing or what the diff between 1:1 5:4 ?????? between i guess the ram and the cpu????

I have

MB: abit IC7-max3
    CPU: p4 2.8 ht
    Ram: corssair xms 512x2 pc3200

So what should i do??? i dont want anything to blow up lol. I tried to oc the fsb 200 to 215 and when i booted up it said it couldent boot from disk and to enter a system disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx in advance

Re: couple ?'s

I can't help you specifically on the Intel overclocking as I've been using AMD for several years now, but I think I can shed some light on your other concerns.

Your processor speed is calculated by taking the FSB and multiplying it by the processor multiplier. On Intel processors these multipliers are locked and cannot be overridden. This is why Intel users have been forced to overclock by means of FSB manipulation for years. Some of the newer Intel processors are supposed to have had the ability to adjust the multiplier a little, but I can't say for sure how this affects you since I'm not that familiar with the processors with this ability. At any rate, when you can adjust the multiplier upwards, you can raise the overall processor speed. Thus a 1000MHz processor at native settings of 100MHz FSB x a multiplier of 10 becomes a 1200MHz processor when the multiplier is raised to 12. This is a simplistic answer but hopefully it shows you the difference between FSB overclocking and multiplier manipulation.

The 1:1 and 5:4 ratios you noted above are the realtive ratio between the FSB and the memory speed. This allows you to run the memory at a faster or slower speed than the FSB to help get you the most performance possible from your processor/memory combination. Overclockers use a 5:4 ratio when the memory is holding them back from the upper speeds their processors are capable of running at. Trial and error are the best answers for handling this area, so go for the gusto.

As to blowing up the system, this is highly unlikely. As a general rule, the system will hack up a furball and refuse to boot when you go too far. From this point you simply reset the CMOS and try again with some slightly less aggressive settings. Thiere is a possibility that you will damage your components, but the odds are against this happening.

Good luck. Hopefully somebody with some Intel knowledge can help you out on the specific problem you're facing.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Working...
    X