Linux Configuration changes and general noob help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Configuration changes and general noob help

i am in need of assistance in reconfiguring a linux box i built, i have gnome installed as the windpows system and the core is debian 3. I need help with the following:

Allowing the root to login at the login screen or giving the base user admin access.

Setting up a parallel port scanner.

Iam trying to learn linux but don't know where to start s o i started by building a system out of junk i had. What files do i need to alter for these changes and what ar e the naming conventions for the extentions i.e. in windows/MS they are application=*.exe, setup file=*.ini, drivers=*.dll.

help with the first tow would be reat and the second two would help me convert from the evil of windows.

Re: Linux Configuration changes and general noob help

I don't think we have any Linux junkies left. Try linuxquestions.org.

Comment

Re: Linux Configuration changes and general noob help

To answer your first question about how to login as root. Try using "sudo" in front of the command.

To get your scanner to work check out www.linuxprinting.org for drivers.

Originally posted by jimsmithkka
      i am in need of assistance in reconfiguring a linux box i built, i have gnome installed as the windpows system and the core is debian 3. I need help with the following:

Allowing the root to login at the login screen or giving the base user admin access.

Setting up a parallel port scanner.

Iam trying to learn linux but don't know where to start s o i started by building a system out of junk i had. What files do i need to alter for these changes and what ar e the naming conventions for the extentions i.e. in windows/MS they are application=*.exe, setup file=*.ini, drivers=*.dll.

help with the first tow would be reat and the second two would help me convert from the evil of windows.

Comment

Working...
      X