Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Want a decent gaming system for $1000 or less.

I am debating buyin components and either trying to build one myself or buying components and having someone else build it for me. The only thing is the last time I went to do this, after I was done adding up the price of all the individual components (and these were the best prices i could find on pricewatch for each componen too) the total was actually quite a bit it was more expensive than what I could order one built that way for, which pretty much all the same stuff. Problem on the other end is who to order these totally custom systems from that are really cheap like cyberpowerpc.com or other places out of the computer shopper but actually has a good reputation??

Suggestions??

Re: Ordering Custom built vs building your own...

Build your own. I have used newegg to great success, but I've heard pricewatch is decent. It shouldn't be that hard to build an exceptional system for under $1000. Cyberpowerpc.com isn't doing you any favors on prices. Yeah they are cheaper, but look at the some of the components. They want you to use a 6200gt. That's not really a fabulous card gaming card.

Comment

Price: $1050.00

I'll have to shop and get prices on all these exact components and see what it adds up to...
      Last edited by kbreese; 12-02-2005, 07:26 PM.

Comment

ALL PRICES FROM NEWEGG.COM:

Case: $50
        processor: $209
        MB: $129
        Coolmaster:$80
        Memory: $72
        Video Card: $350
        Hard Drive:$80
        DVD Burner & DVD: $50
        Half life: $35?

Total=$1055 + you have to add in shipping for all the newegg parts. If you ordered everything at once, I don't know what would it be $30 or so? (free shipping with the cyberpower). + add in little things like the added keyboard & mouse etc.

So you are looking at paying more if you buy all the parts seperately as buying the whole system already assembled and ready to go. This is the same conclusion I came to last time I did this a few years back....
        Last edited by kbreese; 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kbreese
          So you are looking at paying more if you buy all the parts seperately as buying the whole system already assembled and ready to go. This is the same conclusion I came to last time I did this a few years back....
          Well, you're wrong. You simply aren't doing a good job at choosing parts. Neither of those systems will even work. A 420W PSU won't power a 7800 and a socket 939 system, especially the one that comes with that case. Speaking of the 7800, it's only $300 on Newegg, not $350. A $120GB SATA HDD can be purchased for less than $80 shipped on Newegg, just not Seagate, which doesn't really matter that much.

And what the hell... Last time I checked, eVGA didn't make motherboards. There's a "VGA" in the name for a reason. Did you mean DFI?

Comment

_PRICE: (+1097)

Comment

First off I don't understand why you flat out say I am wrong. The point remains the same that you can have Cyberpowerpc.com and other online vendors build you a system for the same price or less as it costs you to buy all the parts seperately.
              I flat out say you're wrong because you're wrong. You can't get it for cheaper. Well, at least not with the same selection. If you restrict yourself to certain parts (brands, in particular), sure those sites might be cheaper; but they do require that restriction. You can build a significantly better computer for a little more yourself, or build an nearly-identical one for the same or less. I'm not going to piece together that system for the same price on Newegg, because I'd piece together a better system for the same amount of (or less) money using different parts.

Secondly, other than maybe underestimating the power supply I needed, I don't understand you telling me I am not doing a good job of choosing parts.
              Well, you have a $130 motherboard, which is probably quite a bit more expensive than it needs to be for what you're doing. you have the HDD listed as $80 not including shipping, which means you chose the $80 IDE Seagate drive instead of a $72 (or something) Western Digital SATA II (or 3.0 gb/s), which is superior and cheaper. Again, the card was one of the expensive ones, and you didn't have a power supply. That's almost half your list. I wasn't just flaming you or making "bad" choices or anything like that; that was my explanation for why the other site turned out cheaper.

As for the new list, there are only a couple major problems. Again, the hard drive needs to change. Try this.

Secondly, and more importantly, I see no reason for you to get a motherboard that expensive. If you want a good overclocking motherboard, go for any of the DFI nForce 4 Ultra motherboards. If you just want a good PCI-E socket 939 motherboard with all the standard onboard stuff, go with a Chaintech nForce Ultra board (I think the model is the VNF4 Ultra). Getting a $120-$150 SLI board is just wasting money on features you'll probably never use.

The PSU is also a little much. Since you don't have an SLI system, an SLI-ready PSU is expensive and overpriced. Unless you're overclocking, you can probably go for something less. Antec makes a 500W model that should power that system just fine, as well as save you money. If you do overclock, than look for something closer to 550W. Make sure that they have 24-pin power connectors (or "20+4 pin" on the Newegg search page for PSUs).

Comment

(CPU)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103533 -$201
                (dvd burner, dont see why you need 2 dvd drives)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106988 - $39.88
                (floppy drive)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16821103203 - $7.25
                (Flash media Reader)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820180222 - $10.00
                (Hdd, sata 3.0 not 150)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144414 - $74.50
                (Logitech Mouse)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823126175 - $64.98
                (ChainTech Mobo)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813152049 - $68.00
                (Corsair RAM XMS NOT VALUE SELECTS)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145450 - $105.00
                (Window XP PRO)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16837102062 - $141.95
                (ThermalTake 480watt psu)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153012 - $70.00
                (eVGA 6800gs 256mb)
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130258 - $209.00

Total: $991.56
                I do not know what towers you want, and you can change mouse and keyboard and other thigns, and about the window xp..those things can be "burrowed" to save you 150$.
                CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                SC: Audigy 2 zs
                LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                  I flat out say you're wrong because you're wrong.
                  No I'm sorry but I am not wrong with the specific point I am making. You are making other very good points and suggestions in areas that you are clearly more knowledgeable than me in, like which parts are best and which parts go best with which parts. Listen, I never said I was an expert at putting the perfect mix of parts together for a system, b/c I am not. BUT that is NOT the point I was making. You keep missing the point and focusing on things like this part doesn't go with that part, or this part is a better choice. It may be true that I didn't select the best parts combination from their drop down menus, but the fact is they have a lot to choose from, and I'm sure you could go on their configurator and put together a good system and if you take that exact system i am sure you could not duplicate it EXACTLY for less money going to newegg and buying all those exact parts seperately and THAT is the point I am making. I realize you are trying to say that you obviously have a better selection of parts at newegg.com but that is a different point altogether. Again, I am just saying exact part for part, the systems you can have built for you at a place like cyberpower will cost the same or less than if you went out and bought all those exact parts seperately. And remember to factor in everything, like extra's included with the cybperpower, on site warranty, games, no freight charge etc etc. And you also have to factor in that you have to spend the time to build the system and load all the drivers etc etc yourself, which I'd imagine vould take the good part of a day for an amateur or novice. And hoping you don't have problems along the way. And since when isn't time money? Or else have to pay someone toput it together for you. So if you factor everything in + part for part, it IS less or no more expensive to get a computer already built. Do you have a better selection of parts at newegg? Of course, but the selction they have at cybperpower is still sufficient.....the ONLY thing I see better about the parts you are talking about is the 3.0/s HD that they don't offer as an option, at least not that I see. The point you are making about the larger parts selection @ newegg is still a good one, but that does not mean the point I was making is wrong, b/c they are two seperate things.

Asianbatman, thats a nice list below and thanks for taking the time to put it together, but lets finish the math:

-2 free games, half Life & AOM = $70 value
                  -As you mentioned the case, which sells from around $60-$70
                  -remove extra DVD on the cyberpower system $26
                  -take away speakers $10
                  -assign 1 year on-site warranty a value: I would think thats worth at least $50 that if something goes wrong in the first year someone will come to the house to fix it.
                  -Next you also have to add in shipping charges to all those parts ordering from newegg.com. what would the total be? I figure with the case, its gotta all be at least $25

So add another $225-$250 to the equation, which puts you into the $1240 range with the custom built system. And I can upgrade to the XMS memory for $51 putting the cyberpower system @ $1148. So the only thing better about the custom system is the 3.0HD and you are $100 higher, PLUS you have to than put it all together.

Now if you enjoy building your own system, than fine its worth it to you to pay as much or more to buy all the parts seperately. But if you don't want to go through all the trouble, and have it come already done and ready to go, than its clearly not.
                  Last edited by kbreese; 12-03-2005, 12:23 PM.

Comment

kbreese, if your not familiar with building a system it will most likely be frustrating and very time consuming. I agree with you that a GOOD warranty on a single system versus a bunch of seperate parts should mean alot to someone that doesn't know much about computer parts and troubleshooting. Being a newbie will most likely cost you more buying software also.

You came to a place to post where most people build their own systems and have a very good idea how to get the most out of what they buy, knowing what to get will most likely save you money in the future by extending the life of your new P.C. by a year or more, expecially if you like playing video games, and also keep in mind the possibility of upgrading might cost less down the road if you build your own the right way.

If your really set on buying a system from the company you mentioned, I suggest you find out if they have a toll free tech support phone number and then try calling it to see if you can actually get ahold of someone in less time than it takes the phone's hand set to leave marks on your face, also ask a lot of (what if questions) and make sure you get the answers you think you need in writing. Also keep in mind whether you order your system peice by peice or as a whole system online, chances are if something goes wrong that you can't figure out yourself, you'll be sending it in by mail and waiting for them to ship a replacement back.
                    I noticed the two games you mentioned have heavily infated prices, it makes me think that everything else might be the same way, I'd do a little shopping around and head to your local retail stores classic PC game selection to price out those 2 very old games you mentioned. I'm pretty sure I've seen the original Halflife for under $10. Halflife 2 and AOE3 are their newer counterparts, which you'll probably want to get for your brand new system

If you asked I bet someone could tell you what parts to get to fit your needs and be considerably less than $1000 minus a monitor, I'm guessing a decent gaming system might run you around $800US or less. You won't be needing a GeForce 7800Gt card to play Halflife or AOM, infact if you wanted a graphics card that would do alright with everthing thats out there today at defualt settings get an X700 for about $100 and then upgrade when you feel it necassary or when prices fall considerably more on the newer Geforce line.

Comment

Well, i simply selected what yawg suggested and some off your list (better/or worse).
                      For example i gave you a mouse and keyboard set that is probably better than the one your getting, so it added a little bit more money on. Same with the HDD, RAM, and Power Supply. But why do you want to spend 70-80 bucks on a case? I doubt the case they provided you is that much. Things that building your own pc offers is definitely having the free choice to choose optimal brands for your situation. But its obvious that having a prebuilt pc is better for you so you can go ahead and do that. Did you try ibuypower.com?
                      Spongebob, where did you get half life from..he is talking about hl2 =D.

Comment

Comment

Spongebob, it is Half life 2 bronze and Age of Mythology, which isn't that old and I think still sells for around $30 or so but not sure. I was just estimated the cost of those games if you went out and bought them new. The total that Cyberpower is charging for those 2 games is only $6. Half life 2 is free with the system and AOM is $6. Yes I am aware of AOEIII and its on my list for xmas ;) I have been playing AOEII for like the past 5 years, great game!

I am actually not that much of a noobie. I am 33 years old and I've bought totally custom systems for the past 13-15 years where I do a bunch of research each time and than pick all the parts out myself. I spent a LOT of time researching parts whenever I do. Here's the thing though, I havent done this in like 6-7 years, so I have been out of the game for long enough to where I am not familiar with all the new hardware. I JUST started researching it, starting with this forum and already I have learned a good amount from the search button on this site. I have never done any computer building but I have done plenty of swapping hard drives, video cards, sound cards, modems, ethernet cards,memory etc etc. I've just never gone as far as swapping a whole MB and/or processor.

Cyberpower actually really does have awesome prices. (check it out) for their systems, but you are absolutely right, the one thing is service. Thats always or at least usually the downside to the places with the best prices, is the poor service record and Cyberpower is no different. The other thing is they are SLOW to get the system to you. I have ordered from them 2X before, 1 for me one for a brother and they are always late. But neither of us had problems with the systems, and both ran damn fast based on all good component selections at the time. And having the 1 yr onsite warranty is atleast worth something.

Honestly, I am still debating trying it on my own this time. I have a couple of friends into computers and i know a guy who would build it for around $100-$150 if I buy all the parts.

My current computer is a PII 350, lol, with 128mb ram and a 3dfx Video card with i think only 16MB? it was a good card at the time. This system I have is like 6-7 years old.maybe more, I forget, but it's well overdue for replacement! The fans are shot in it and everything so the cpu and power supply run hot as hell, can't believe it hasnt blow up yet. You should see this thing, I've had the case open forever (for cooling) and its all dusty inside etc....what a mess, lol.

Actually I have a computer here on the floor only a couple of years old that my best friend gave me a while back that only needs a HD, but I wanted something a little faster. this one has an Asus A7V335 MB, not even sure of the processor but i think its an AMD, it has 512MB Kingston memory, 128MB video card (msi nvidia 8870), DVD player, not sure if its a burner, floppy etc...like I said, its just missing a hard drive. It has a really nice bright metallic blue case with a total of 4 fans and the see through plexiglass. The guy i mentioned build it custom, but my friend removed the HD for soemthing and than built a real expensive one and didnt need this one anymore. Anyhow, I was just thinking to use this shell have the innards gutted and buy all new parts, except for the floppy drive & fans. That way I save the money on the case at least :)

Whats an X700? That would still be good for AOEIII?? I'd really liek to be able to run games at their maximum settings otherwise you are missing a lot of the beauty of the new game. I was thinking a 6800GS as a minimum... how does the X700 compare to this?

Comment

AsianBatman,
                            I am pretty sure ibuypower and cyberpowerpc are the same company or at least affiliates. if you look, they have the same exact configuration systems with the same exact parts.

Glad you at elast took the time to configure a system and see what I was saying is true about the price. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by kbrees
                              i am sure you could not duplicate it EXACTLY for less money going to newegg and buying all those exact parts seperately and THAT is the point I am making.
                              I've already conceded that point. That even applies to the major OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.). But as with them, you can get a better PC for less by choosing your own parts. Because of that, I find the point to be mostly irrelevent. But if you really think it's that much trouble to build it yourself that you'd rather have a slightly worse or slightly more expensive systems, that's certainly your choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X