Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAJOR CPU cooling problems

Hello everyone,

I am having some major problems as indicated with this thread's title in that my CPU is getting WAY too hot. After putting my computer up to 30 minutes to an hour of doom 3 and then immediately rebooting, the BIOS says that my CPU temperature is in excess of 70 degrees C! This really has me worried as I read on the AMD website that the maximum temperature that my processor can handle without frying is 85 C. I haven't experienced any problems with my computer just yet, and I'd like to keep it that way. As such, I decided to replace my stock heatsink/fan with a different one as well as adding some thermal grease. I would appreciate any suggestions you have as to what heatsinks/fans will get my CPU temp down to around 50C while under heavy load. Suggestions on what kind of thermal compound to get would also be appreciated. Since this is the first time I will be using a fan other than stock, i'd also appreciate any advice as far as administering thermal compound and installing the new fan. For reference, my computer is composed as such:

Asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard
    AMD athlon xp 2600+ @ 2.083Ghz (Socket A i believe)
    512MB ram
    etc, etc

I apreciate any advice that you could give me, since I'd like to be able to keep this computer up and running for another two years or so.

-zwqg1985

Re: MAJOR CPU cooling problems

Are you sure it's C? If so, then the temp sensor is extremely inaccurate. You wouldn't be booting into Windows, much less playing 30 seconds of Doom 3 without the CPU crashing. Most socket A CPUs will crash if they get into the 60s or even the high 50s.

However, to answer your questions regarding what you can do to fix the heat issuee...
    In my experience Thermaltake HSFs are very good. I use a Thermaltake Volcano 12 on my Mobile Athlon XP 2400. It's overclocked to 2.2GHz and has load temps between 44 and 48C with the fan on the lowest setting (it comes with a controller). However, even on the lowest setting, the fan is pretty loud. If noise bothers you, something like the SilentBoost would be more appropriate.

Another good option would be something using heatpipes. Heatsinks using heatpipes tend to work the best. Copper is also preferable, but there are some great heatsinks made from aluminum (such as the XP-90, though you can't use that). I wouldn't recommend spending much money, though. Your system is very low-end, and will be obsolete (depending on what you need it for) in 12-24 months.

For your thermal compound, get Arctic Silver 5. That's easily the best option out there. When you apply it, just Google "Arctic Silver instructions" and you'll get the Arctic Silver web site.

Comment

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the fairly prompt response, I really appreciate getting help in a fairly short time. Secondly, yes i am positive it is in celsius degrees as the monitor says that the temperature is circa 150 fahrenheit. Thirdly, what would be an acurate way to determine the actual CPU temperature? If there is some sort of program that could do this that you know of, I'd appreciate you mentioning it to me. As i said, I need to keep this computer running for a little while as it will be a time before i can scrap together enough cash for a new one (college is expensive!). And lastly, when you say that the fan is loud even at the lowest settings, how loud are we talking here? I live in a house that absorbs sound pretty well so i want to see whether or not i should consider that as a viable solution or if i should look for a different fan.
      -zwqg1985

Comment

Well, a buddy of mine recommended that i sneak a peek at the temp using Asus probe, and the results are that the CPU idle temperature is 46c which is still way too high for my tastes, especially since my buddy basically has the EXACT setup as me and he has an idle cpu temp of 28C. I wonder why there is such a HUGE discrepency between the BIOS temp and the Asus probe temp? Your help is appreciated.

-zwqg1985

Comment

BIOS temp sensors are often innaccurate. The only truly accurate way is to have a temp sensor underneath the CPU.

The Thermaltake is supposed to be 21dBA at the lowest speed, but it sounds more like 27-28. At loudest, it's 48dBA.

I'd say 46C is a little too high for Idle, but it probably won't be unstable. A replacement HSF and Arctic Silver 5 will probably bring it below 40c, though.

Comment

Working...
          X