Broadband Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband Decision

Ive had cable internet b4 running at max 1.8mb/s with optus but ive heard adsl is quicker, any advice on what should i go for since im moving house in 2 weeks, ive been told u can get 1.5mb/s adsl plans then you can tweak the mtu unit in windows, just wondering if anyone knows how far you can tweak your adsl connection say 2.0mb/s or more, i live in sydney australia and either going to go with telstra or optus, any info on cable vs adsl from both companys would b appreciated thx.

Re: Broadband Decision

In the US, you can generally do better with cable over DSL, but I've heard that things are a bit different on the other side of the pond.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

What is the max speed your cable has hit before darthtanion ?

Comment

Have a look at the Whirlpool site, you will find some info there that may help, also try the forum. Telstra continues to be over priced, Westnet seems to be flavour of the month.
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Around this area(British Columbia), cable is from 5-7Mbps and I think 10Mbps. Though your actual download speed(from one soarce) will often come nowhere close to that. For compairisons sake, ADSL in this area is available in 3, 5, and 6Mbps flavours, that 6Mbps connection being more expencive than the 7Mbps offering, as Cable Internet is often bundled with Cable television for extra savings.

Comment

Our cable here runs at about 4000/512. True speeds are generally about 3800-3900 and I've had several downloads from good servers blow past the 4000 rating with ease. Alternatively, DSL usually only runs 2500-3000 unless you want to pay a premium price.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I'd look at upload speeds more than DL. My Comcast gets better download rates than any 99% of sites will allow (it's rated at 6mbit and I've seen it go near 7), but the upload can get terrible during peak hours. DSL tends to get quite good upload speeds (regardless of what country you live in), and the speeds should be unaffected by how many people in your area are using it.

Physically speaking, cable is capable of providing higher bandwidth than DSL will ever be, but no ISP out there will go to that limit. In general, cable is much faster on the download and around the same on upload. DSL has the advantage of being direct (see the "D" in DSL), meaning that your bandwidth should be unaffected by how many people are using the Internet, assuming your ISP isn't having some issues of its own.

I'd recommend you check with people in Australia, especially those in your area. As with Darth, I'm not sure how cable and DSL compare off-continent.

Comment

Theres a company called iprimus in australia that have a nice adsl plan with speeds reaching 8000kb/s but not sure if thats justified once its connected, and some tweaks are installed but thats my best bet i think. Heres the link if anyone is interested http://www.iprimus.com.au/broadband-...g.asp?refcode=

Comment

Although I dont' care too much for comcast b/c of it's pricing, I like it's speeds. I get about 6000/512.. I used to be with WideOpenWest Cable until I moved east and their connections ran about 6000/512 for less than comcast...
                  --Mjha--

Comment

Thx but im in sydney australia =)

Comment

Working...
                    X