PSU too small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU too small?

Alright, you guys might remember my fun with the "Hatch" computer. Well, it's back and even more fun. I sent it back to the company and they said that the mobo was fried, so they replaced it. They also upgraded the video card. They put in an ATI X700 Pro AGP 8X. It works fine now. I do have one concern, though. They kept the original psu. It is a cheapo from some strange company. I am positive that it is a 300watt or less psu. Could this be a major problem in the future?

Here are the specs:
    P4 2.4
    512 ram
    40 gig hd
    ATI x700 pro agp
    intel mobo
    80mm cpu fan
    40 intake fan

This is a really cramped computer, so it gets hot quick. I fear that the psu will get fried really quick. Is a 300w psu enough?

Re: PSU too small?

A 300W PSU is hardly enough for that system, especially if it's some crappy case PSU.

Comment

A 300-watt FORTON or Seasonic would suffice.

But a POS off brand, no.

Probably getting a lot of dirty voltage.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys,

What should I get as a replacement? The problem is that it must be a micro atx size.

I found a Fortron 300 watt and some odd brand 350watt. I can't remember. I did find a 450 watt Athena Power. I haven't heard much about Athena. Good? Bad? Ugly?

Comment

Go for Fortron, Enermax, Seasonic or Antec if you're getting a PSU this small. Look for 350W, but a really good 300W might cut it.

Comment

For an X700 and 2.4A CPU (100MHz FSB/400QDR) a quality 300-350W should be fine.
            For the X700 and 2.4B CPU (133MHz FSB/533QDR) a quality 350-400W will do.
            If you have a 2.4C CPU (200MHz FSB/800QDR) then a quality 400-450W would be a better choice.

Comment

Again, thanks for the help,

Now my problem is finding one. I've found a 300W Fortron, but nothing higher than that. I found that Athena 450W. I also found a SilenX 400W model.

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1722.html

I can't find any good ones. Everythings seems like junk... Google turned up almost nothing. I really don't want to import a psu just for this thing!

By the way, the manufacturer of the computer doesn't send any spec sheets, so knowing what type of P4 is almost impossible. All I know is that it was built in 2001.

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!

Comment

CPU-Z is still in my sig, isn't it?
                Edit: Yep, it is. Knowing which P4 is really easy.

Comment

Working...
                X