Need suggestions for Vid Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions for Vid Card

I just purchased all of these parts used, refurbed them and am currently in the process of tweaking the system. I just need a few suggestions from of you seasoned types. This is my first ever PC SCSI system, after owning Macs, and I'm nothing but purely impressed at this point. Before you ask what in the hell I need all of that power for, I'll tell you right off that I will be using it for Graphic Design and 3D modelling purposes, as well as the mundane things in life. :-)

I started out with an Evo workstation and transferred everything into a server rack for easy access. I reconfigured the system to work around an Adaptec U320 SCSI controller for max bandwidth. And the new system is as follows:

-1 -18.5GB Cheetah U320 15K RPM HD to house the OS's, XP and Linux
    -2 -76 GB Cheetah U320 15K RPM HD to house software, RAID 0
    -2 -120 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM SATA drives to house data and backups in RAID 1.
    -1.5 GB of ECC RAMBUS 800 mhz ram
    -Dual P4 Xeon 2.0 ghz Hyperthreaded processors

I don't have a video card yet, but even with the onboard video it's the single fastest, and definitely the most stable computer that I've ever owned. I was surprised that I was able to get the SCSI up and running on the first try, as from everything I had read it can be a nightmare. It's a shame I'm not this lucky in power ball situations, but such is the way of the world I guess. Any suggestions, given that you know what I'm going to be doing with it, would be greatly appretiated. Thank you very much.

With the video card I was looking at spending between $100-150. I can't afford the big workhorse graphic design cards of course. But I'll take what I can get. Suggestions? 8-)

By the way, for those of you wondering what this system cost. Used and refurbbed it cost me less then $700. And since I'll be setting up everything in RAID 10 over time, if something goes bad I'll just hotswap it with another refurb.
    Last edited by Drandon; 02-24-2006, 01:03 AM. Reason: Better title wanted

Re: Need suggestions for Vid Card

Does it have an agp slot and what kind of agp is it?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Re: Need suggestions for Vid Card

Yes. It does have an AGP. It also has two PCI-X slots. The AGP is 8x.

Comment

Working...
      X