Wireless network problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless network problems

Right, my system is an athlon 64 3500+, asus a8v deluxe mobo, 1 gig of ddr ram yada yada yada
    i'm running windows xp, and have a belkin wireless super g pci card. Our home network is run through a netgear dg834gt wireless router.

Up until recently i had an asus wl-138g wireless card, but am convinced it was behind a number of system problems, bsods etc...

With the new card, my connection is fine for a while, then after a number of hours it will disconnect, sometimes it reconnects by itself straight away, other times it wont.
    When it doesnt, it says that there is limited connectivity, and internet wont work, i cant even ping the router. I need to restart the system to get an ip address. For some reason the router wont give me an ip every time. The router is the dhcp server on the system, and i have a static ip set up for my machine. I just dont understand why i dont get better connectivity. This has happened when i let windows control the connection, and when i let the belkin software control it.

any thoughts? its doing my head in.

in the event viewer, i get these warnings when it happens:

event id 1007 DHCP

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxxx. The IP address being used is 169.254.205.240. <====== this ip is all wrong obviously, its totally ou of the correct range.

any advice or whatever would be great ;)

Thanks

John

Re: Wireless network problems

Are you using any encryption?
    Have you checked for updated drivers on Belkin's site?
    Have you reinstalled the card or even just the TCP/IP protocol?
    Go to Start>Run and type services.msc. What is the status of the Wireless Zero Configuration when this problem happens?

Comment

THe card was bought about 2 days ago so i assume the drivers are up to date, i did look on the belkin site and the drivers were last updated in 2004, which is when mine r from. I did read somewhere that ralinktech do good wireless drivers?

I am using 128bit WEP encryption.

The wzc seems to be fine, it was running this morning when my connection had died, however, restarting it seems to fix the problem, windows cant allocate an IP without it being restarted.

odd
      :S

and no i havent reinstalled the tcp/ip, is it worth doing?

John

Comment

Is the WZC set to automatic or manual? DHCP is part of the TCP/IP protocol suite and that's where the problem seems to be, so it might make a difference. I've had wireless cards that had a similar problem, no matter what I do. I've just attributed it to being defective. But I've never used Belkin before. In my experience, Netgear, Cisco and Orinoco have been the most reliable networking devices.

Comment

Working...
        X