Hmm a problem with overclock over here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm a problem with overclock over here

Before i even started to mess with the settings on my PNY Geforce 6600 AGP 256mb. From time to time any application would pause for a certain amount of time depending on the use of graphics. I tried using different Nvidia drivers but the problem was still there. (By the way i have a SIS AGP Chipset and i know about the problems with the graphic display when using drivers 70 and above)
    Iam currently using there newest driver version as it give me the best performance and the texture gliching takes about 1-2 hours to appear.

Ok my problem is that when ever i overclock my graphics card to any value (above or below 300mhz core - 500mzh memory). As soon as that anoying pause in the application comes it will reset my overclock or my underclock back to the default settings, can anyone tell me what is causing this pause in the applications and how to correct it.

Iam using newest version of riva tuner to overclock.

My System is:
    P4 HT 3.0ghz
    Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ SIS 648FX + 963L / ATX
    2*512MB RAM
    80gb HDD
    20gb HDD (Virtual memory and windows XP)
    PNY Geforce 6600 AGP 256MB (300/500)
    DVD rewriter
    DVD drive
    5.1 sorround sound

Re: Hmm a problem with overclock over here

Try using the nVidia driver overclocking in display properties/settings/advanced, Since running Riva Tuner unlocks that option.

Comment

You know when u use a Nvidia graphics card with an SIS Chipset u will get that stupid texture glitching, is there a way of stopping the glitching without having to go back to drivers 60 and lower, because my motherboard doesnt like the drivers 70 and lower.
      Sorry if iam not quite clear on what ive said as iam a bit drunk to night, just got back from clubbin. ARRG too much Jack Daniels

Comment

I have never had any issues with doing that on my ECS motherboard in the XP2000 machine my dad is unsing, granted it is an older chipset using AGP 4x. I am using a BFG 6200 with the newest drivers and it works perfect on that platform, even Overclocked. I cant help you much past that point, you'll have to wait for Yawg or someone else to help you with that, the only other thing I can think of is getting all the letest windows updates, and upgrading your SIS chipset drivers.

Comment

I've never had texture problems with my SIS chipset and nVidia card combo. I'm currently using 81.85 drivers and have tried many others. The only graphics glitches I had with this thing was some sort of conflict with an older version of Java and my card (that was an easy fix once I figured it out).

What sort of airflow do you have? Is it possible that your problems are heat related?
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

It could be the cooling system but right now when my pc isnt doing anythink the temprtures are.
            CPU 31c
            Video Card 51c
            HDD 30c
            System case is at 28.3c (the thermomitor is right by my CPU (under the fan) and graphics card. I can move it about to check different tempretures in the case)

But on full load eg. Playing BF2 the temps are.
            CPU 50c-60c
            Video 60c-85c

But i have noticed that if i turn my pc on and leave it for about an hour then start a game the texture glitchs are there so i dont think its the heat which is causeing the problem.
            Every part of my pc is up-to-date SIS drivers, Windows, even the firmware on my DVD drive

Comment

I'm no expert but I'd say you have heat issues at those temps. My GPU reads 39c while my ambiant case temp is 29c at this moment. Not sure where your card should be at temp wise but I'd be very concerned if mine ever hit 60c. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will have a look at this thread.
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Well ive read somewhere that Geforce 6 series run at high temps anyway. It said u should start to panic if it reachs round 90c and the highest its been on mine was 87c but thats because i was being stupid and clocking my graphics card from 300/500 to 375/600 without any other cooling systems than fans.

Comment

Your GPU temp is fine for a 6600, run memtest on your memory, memory problems can Often cause graphics issues..

Comment

Where can i find this memtest and how do i run it, because if it requires a floppy drive iam out of luck as i dont have one installed

Comment

Well I think you can do it with a removable disk like a USB stick or similar, but I have not tried it that way, since it is built into my motherboards bios.... But yes normaly it is run with a floppy.

MemTest86 is the original self booting memory testing software for x86 and ARM computers. Supporting both BIOS and UEFI, with options to boot from USB.

Comment

Working...
                      X