USB not working on new Epox mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB not working on new Epox mobo

[font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Hey guys, my 9NPA+SLI just came in today and I finished setting everything up and installing XP. Seems to be the case with me that with all new hardware there is always something wrong at first. The problem is the USB just won't work. At all. The computer sees it during POST, windows sees that there is a USB controller, yet nothing works. No power is going out to the devices. [/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Has anyone had this problem with this board, or a similar problem. Or anyone know what I'm doing wrong? My stats are listed. Along with 2x300GB maXlines in RAID-0. I have to use my old dell "quietkey" ps2 keyboard except I think it's loud enough to wake up the neighbors :-(

OCZ 450W modstream
    AMD Opteron 165 (stock for now)
    eVGA 7800GT
    X-Mystique Gold 7.1
    1GB dual channel OCZ plat.
    XP Pro SP2
    [/font]

Re: USB not working on new Epox mobo

Most newer boards have a LOT of USB ports and several can be turned off inside the BIOS. Silly question, but are you sure that the port you're trying to use is enabled?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yeah, oddly there aren't a lot of USB options in the bios (even though the bios is pretty loaded), but I've check to make sure they are on. I know windows should be seeing a lot more than what is posted. I just can't figure it out.

Comment

Ok, well here's an update on my problem. There should be two USB devices, and 2 roots found, which are. I ran sandra lite and it's telling me the USB controllers aren't powered. Now what?

Comment

I'm not familiar with that mainboard since I haven't used it before, but are there possibly some power connectors on the mainboard that need to be filled but aren't? An example of this is the DFI board I'm using now... it has the 24-pin main coupler, a 4-pin auxilliary connection, a 4-pin Molex AND a 4-pin FDD power connection. All four of these need to be filled with an appropriate connector for the board to work properly. Just a shot in the dark, but is your board possibly the same type?
          My Toys

Comment

Well, I finally figured it out (which is probably the more annoying part). There's a jumper on the motherboard to allow usb devices to wake up the system from s3 (or power saving mode). So it was set to disconnect the 5V standby. All I had to do was switch it to "on" and it works. You'd think they'd come preset to have the USB on...

On another note, I'm happy that in the end it was user error. Although now I seem to be running the in the nforce 4 usb nightmare while transferring huge files over usb 2.0. I'm going to see if driver updates will fix if. If not...back to google :-)

Comment

Go into device manager and uninstall anything that says USB (will take out your mouse and keyboard if you are using USB ones) and then load the nvidia drivers after a reboot.

Comment

Does that fix the crashing while transferring heavy loads across the USB?

Comment

I don't know about fixing crashes (I've never had that problem before), but if you haven't installed at least SP1, then your system won't be compatible with USB2.0. After installing either of the service packs, just go into the Device Manager. Even with the mainboard drivers and service pack installed, you should have an error marking by one of the USB entries as being an undefined component. Uninstall this item (don't disable) then reboot. The updated drivers are already on the hard drive, so a simple reboot will get your system up to speed and give you full USB2.0 capabilities. I've been able to do full system backups with no crashes and at reasonable speeds. Hopefully it will help you out.

P.S. You won't have to reinstall the mainboard drivers after this process, but they should already be installed anyway or that could be your problem as Windows isn't figuring out the proper way to communicate with your motherboard. If you haven't installed the mainboard drivers and want the proper order to install the different drivers, just give a shout.
                  My Toys

Comment

Working...
                  X