How much power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much power?

I'm putting together a pc for the first time I want to get the geforce(xfx)7900GT
    I saw an antec case/power supply that I liked for 100 bones. Would 450watts do the trick?
    (I also have a P4-3.0 a gb of ram and a 250gb hard drive + I plan on getting a sound card for like $100 [if you know of one thats good for around that price i'll take any advice you have to offer]).
    Thanks

Re: How much power?

Not even close. You'll need at least 500W from a reputable PSU company (e.g. Fortron, Antec).

The X-Fi Xtreme Music 7.1 would be the best choice for a sound card in that price range. Creative is basically the only choice when it comes to sound cards. There are a couple competitors, but Creative has better quality in the long run.

Comment

The Power supply in the Antec at 450 watts is good enough, I'd get it. I know of some people who've run 7800gtx's on a Antec 350 watt Power supply. But 450 is more than enough for a single card.

Comment

as long as it has a high 12v rail ampage - more than 20a for example? i know you can get 500w supplies with only 17a on the 12v rail, which kinda sucks

Comment

The 450 will work, but if you add much more in the future then you may have to uprade your PSU again, so get a 500W from a good company as Yawgm0th mentioned, a few others include: PC Power and Cooling(but expencive), OCZ, Antec, Fortron, and Enermax.

Oh and about the X-fi..... Many NF2/3/4 users complain about cracking noises coming from their speakers, random lock-ups, and BSOD's. Other than that you should be ok.
          Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 05-02-2006, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X