The Intel 630 4ghz Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intel 630 4ghz Project

I am overclocking right now. It would greatly help me out if you guys could guide me along the way.

I am using the following
    CPU- Intel 630 3ghz cooling via Thermaltake Blue Orb II

Ram - OCZ 26672048ELDCGE-K 2GB Kit DDR2-667 PC2-5400 Gold Edition 4-4-4-8

Motherboard - ASUS P5WD2 Premium

After many hour of installing stuff and a little burn in I ran my first test.

3.53Ghz was not stable

Im running mine at 3.6ghz 250x15 1.435V in bios but I get 1.51V Idle in Windows.
    I can't seem to move up any at all. Any Ideas?
    Last edited by neokeelo; 06-03-2006, 02:22 AM.

Re: The Intel 630 4ghz Project

I know your going to need some better cooling if you are already running 52C under load at stock speeds. It's gonna take more than 1.46v to get there as well. Also, once you get up there to the almost 1Ghz overclock, 100mhz steps are probably too big. It seems to take more tinkering around in the bios once you really get up there. (Trust me, I have the trusty old 2.4C overclocking monster)

Comment

I updated the thread.

Comment

nevermind, the higest I can get it is still 242fsb 3.6ghz with standard ram timings. I ran memtest86 last night and got an error on one of my sticks so i think im going to send it back for some diffrent ram. Does anyone know if having a bad stick of ram can limit the overclock even if you are running the ram at rated speed?

I hope this is the case because no matter what I do I can not get past 242 fsb.

Comment

RAM errors can cause a number of issues and that is a possibility.

Comment

I switched both sticks of ram in each other's place and ran memtest86 for 9 hours with no errors. so maybe it was a fluke.
            Anyways...

Here is a current screen of my overclock. I am at 4ghz now :D wOOT! I'm just trying to get prime to be stable.

I went from 6mins, to 10mins, to 20mins to 1 hour 40 mins of being stable, each time upping the cpu voltage by 1 notch.

Now I am at 1.475V and have not ran prime yet. I hope it will stay stable at this voltage.

I get 41C idle and 61-63C Load it has gone up to 65C but it goes back down.

Comment

I am running 3.75Ghz right now for 27\7 use at 1.45V 4ghz is fine for most games (BF2, Quake 4, UT2004) but has crashed a few times in windows when using ventrilo (althought it might be my craapy soundblaster driver)

and when I played TOCA3 with all the Starforce checking everything it crashes about 5 mins into the game.

I think 3.75 with overclocked x1800XT 685\795 will be fine for gaming untl newer games come out or I can get a better cooler and Power supply.

As for benchmarks. At 4ghz , ram @ 712Mhz , x1800xt at 680/794 I get

3dmark 2003 = 17944
              3dmark 2006 = 4452
              Quake 3 "Fast" = 418fps
              Super PI 1MB = 31 secs

Does that seem about right?

However this is NOT 24\7 stable with all programs and games so I'm not going to leave it at this.

Comment

Did you say that you have a 4ghz proc?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by orangutang91
                  Did you say that you have a 4ghz proc?!?!?!
                  P4s have been reaching 4GHz for years now. Some of the newer ones can practically do it on air now. It's actually better to have a 3+Ghz Core Duo or Opteron, both of which are easier to get than a 4GHz P4. That said, it is just plain cool to say you have a 4GHz P4.

Comment

Wow I am amazed by that 4Ghz, imagine the gaming potential!

Comment

That pc must be so fast!! It could probobly beat a x2 4800+ and leave it in the dust. The videocard is prolly the bottleneck now.

Comment

ya

Comment

yes, it may be faster than an x2 4800 but not as fast as any 2.6ghz athlon 64, which is easier to get. also, it aint dual core, so an x2 would beat it in any multithreaded app.

Comment

Depending on the game, it's around as fast a 2.6-2.8GHz Athlon 64/Opteron/Sempron 64. It's a bad comparison since the X2 4800 is neither the top-of-the-line AMD processor (making it a random choice) nor single-core. Regardless, a 3GHz-3.2GHz Athlon 64/Opteron will outperform it in most applications, especially gaming. Such a feat is also achievable with a good air cooler and any of the following processors:
                            Socket 939:
                            Opteron All models
                            Athlon 64 3700, 4000, FX-55, FX-57, FX60
                            Athlon 64 X2 all models
                            AM2:
                            Athlon 64 all models
                            Athlon 64 X2 all models

Socket 479 is even better, as all of it's Core Duo processors will do over 3GHz on stock cooling, which will outperform anything out there.

Ultimately, 4GHz is very cool, but there are cheaper ways to get better performance.

Comment

So if i overclock my cpu to 2.6 I'm getting relatively the same performance as a 4ghz p4?

Comment

Working...
                              X