cable/power problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable/power problems

ok guys. first off i have a dfi nf4 sli d mobo, just for reference. i just upgraded my previous antec sp500 to a tp550 so i could get my sli 7800gtxs going. when i installed the new psu and the new card in and went to boot up the computer, everything powered up except the monitor. the computer itself was runing, but for some reason the monitor wasn't recieving anything. any ideas? bfg tech didn't have any. so i tried swaping out the cards and messed with monitor cables and still no luck, double checked everything, even cleared out the cmos, but nothing. so i reverted back to my old power supply removed the usb recieves that hook up to my monitor out and the computer started right up. although i think it's worht nothing that the old sp500 has an additional 4 pin power cnonnector that hooks into the mobo, where as the tp550 just has the large 20 or w/e its connector is. so, i'm wondering what you guys might think my incompatibilty or issue might be. also, the new psu, the tp550, is not modular like my old psu. and the way the computer was wired up, the two 120 mm fans and the zalman cpu fan were all wired into one hookup for the psu. unfortunately, my new psu doesn't have the right kind of hookup for this. the way the fans are wired up, they need one connector that has the pins covered by a hookin thing, i think it's called a female or something. where the fan power would go inside the one from the psu, if that makes any sense. i'll try to post pics to make this clearer later on. so, do you know of anywhere i coudl get a calbe splitter or anything without having to buy another psu. thanks a lot guys,

josh
    amd 4200 x2
    2gb ocz gold pc4000
    dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
    antec sp500
    bfg7800gtx
    zalman cpu cooler

Re: cable/power problems

Someone with more experience may correct me but I do not think that the 4 pin plug on your mobo is optional. In my experience it must be hooked up in order for your system to function properly. Not sure what you are referring to with the fan power hook up plugs but don't try to power up without haveing at least the CPU fan hooked up to power.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

The motherboard should have two separate power connectors hooked into it. One is either 20-pin or 24-pin, depending on the power supply. The board has a 24-pin connector, but it should at least boot up with a 20-pin connector. The second connector is a 4-pin, with the pins in a square (rather than a line of pins, which would a be 4-pin "molex" connector used for IDE devices, fans, and some other devices). Both PSUs will have both kinds of connectors, and both need to be connected to the motherboard. You claim the TruePower doesn't have this connector, but it does. Any PSU made in the last three years has one. This is the motherboard's auxilliary 12-volt power connector and it has been needed (no, not optional; you'll get this exact problem on any system that needs one but doesn't have it hooked in) on every motherboard since the late socket A and socket 478 days. If you don't see it on the TruePower, it has either been disconnected, or you just haven't found it.

Comment

DFI is an energy hog. To add to what Yawg was stating above, this series board generally has a total of four (4) power connectors that MUST be hooked up in order to work. There is a 24-pin main power coupler, a 4-pin auxilliary (the square one mentioned before), a 4-pin Molex connector (the type you hook into a fan or your CD drive) and a 4-pin floppy drive connector. All four of these must be powered for the board to work. If you're finding that your new power supply doesn't have enough connectors to go around, you'll need to get some splitters.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

i'm almost positive, i'll confirm when i get home on tuesday, that the powersupply, which was purchased brand new, doesn't have the 4 pin power connector. instead, it has a 6 pin connector. also, darth, using my old psu i only hooked up the 20 and the 4 pin, nothing else and the board powered up fine.
          amd 4200 x2
          2gb ocz gold pc4000
          dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
          antec sp500
          bfg7800gtx
          zalman cpu cooler

Comment

also, tou might not have the card driver running, the computer might be using the default motherboard driver, try pluging it in the motherboars default moniter port. please forgive me if i dont make any sense

Comment

Originally posted by orangutang91
              also, tou might not have the card driver running, the computer might be using the default motherboard driver, try pluging it in the motherboars default moniter port. please forgive me if i dont make any sense
              I know what you are trying to say, but you didn't use the right terminology. It would be better worded something like;

You may have the video feed running off on onboard video and try plugging it
              into that.

Anyhow, I've never messed with a motherboard that doesn't default to an AGP card if installed over the onboard.

And now, you say this is an SLI setup? my sli 7800gtxs Do you have it set-up properly?

Comment

Thanks for rewording me man. Isnt it the driver that determines the location to send the video, or is it the OS itself?

Comment

ok guys, turns out that the 4 pin mobo connector i couldn't find was there after all, it's just that there were two of them stuck together, making an 8 pin connector. so i plugged that in and she fired up and monitor and evertyhign worked. all that leaves to do now is find a splitter so i can get my fans going. also, after i got the power and all going i installed my cards sli and made sure power was into both and conected the sli bridge as well as enabling some option in my bios that added support for sli 6600gt, hope that's ok, but when i log in and i look for the new hardware thing to show up it doesn't. i like in my nvidia settings and it isn't recognizing sli. any ideas?
                  amd 4200 x2
                  2gb ocz gold pc4000
                  dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
                  antec sp500
                  bfg7800gtx
                  zalman cpu cooler

Comment

ok, sli is all set up. now i just need a website where i can get a splitter. i need two female fan hookups that run into 1 female hookup for power. any ideas? need pics so you can understand, let me know and i'll post. thanks so far, going good, much appreciated.
                    amd 4200 x2
                    2gb ocz gold pc4000
                    dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
                    antec sp500
                    bfg7800gtx
                    zalman cpu cooler

Comment

Working...
                    X