• poopy problem.

Warning LONG STORY.
    XP pro instalation CD
    ANTEC true power 380w
    Athlon 1900+XP
    2x Corsair crazy xs 512mb stick of memory
    1x Generic pc2700 stick of memory
    HD1 40GB IMD deskstar
    HD2 60GB Western Digita Cvair (ive called their support line.. DO NOT BUY FROM WESTERN DIGITAL THEY are the pits)
    HD3 300GB Segate SATA
    GF6000 or something

It all started with boot problems. out of the blue I was getting blue screens left and right when trying to get into windows. Along with the blue screens came strange Hard Drive noises, clicks, bleeps, clanks...etc. Everynow and then windows would load up. if i was able to boot to os once i would usualy be able to do it consecutively in the same time frame, but if i was to leave my computer off for a while and do a cold boot.... BOOT PROBLEMS.

Conclusion: 1 of the 2HD's connected to my primary IDE controller are going.

I buy a new HD off NEWEGG.

its SATA. =/

My motherboard is a MSI kt3 Ultra. kind of old school. NO sata controller.
    So i bought a PCI SYBIA sata controller.
    I manage to setup windows. update, install drivers and get the data off my failing hd2 (still connected pri master)
    marvelous.
    cold boot time....... Ehh. crashes and freezes.. noises. cant tell which hd its coming from. Remove prim master hd2 reboot.
    Boot problems.. not finding windows
    conclusion : currupted files
    i run a chkdsk /r
    install windows on partion 2
    works.
    partion 1 windows is having strange stablitity issues i decide its probly best to just fix windows on that partion.
    works. minor issues with registry and stuff.. I dont want stablity issues later so lets just delete partion and reinstall

MEANWHILE. somewhere in between windows functonality i decide to get update drivers for the SATA controller and a flash utillity to flash its bios.

RESTART
    boot to CD.
    install old sata controller drivers from floppy....... and then BAM

seriously. BAM i think i hear my computer do jig. jIG of death.

Install cd doesnt detect my SATA hd. UH OH.
    reboot.
    the SATA controller cards bios would get stuck sometimes but it would still read that the HD was connected. I contacted SYBA they blamed the HD. gave me some email adress i can email to get a new bios to flash it with.

My frustration lvl is at good combusting, boiling peak of whatever.
    because the card. is now. jamed in the pci slot. not cool. SYBA makes a pci board that is not cut smoothly. dont buy from them.
    anyway I reset my cmos and i cant get it to post.
    acording to dlink diagnostic thingy memory detection test was stalling.
    onboard memory test? is this the dram or something on the MOBO? not sure couldnt find out on MSI's site.
    anyway im testing each of my memory sticks. i got it to post once or twice randomly but freezes.
    CLIMAX: No power. after restarting a few times its simply stoped powering up.

There you have it. Ive had enough of the pc. and all things technology in general.

any takers?
    my view on the two party system...

Re: poopy problem.

Is your system clean? I had a similar problem with my old Dell, cleaned the computer (Including the fan on the PSU) with some canned air. Also, I installed a new video card at the same time. But, I think the air is a slightly less costly purchase. If that doesn't work then you may opt for a new video card.

Just my two cents.

Comment

I never had problems with WD support. Anyway, that PSU is borderline too small. Got a bigger one around to try?

Comment

PSU is what ive been thinking. These problems havent really come up untill i started adding huge drains. i think the psu is what was causing the problems with the hard drives in the first place. I hope its this. and i hope all that rebooting didnt fry anything on my mobo. seems like it could have damaged my ram since i was getting the memory test error.. or porbly the ram wasnt getting enough juice..

thanks about the air. I actualy have a small air compressor with adjustable psi that i took to my dust b4 i installed the sata.

small compressors arent handy for much but they fill flat tires and dust like none else.. im sure if u add up all the cans of end dust u could buy one..
        about WD; it wasnt so much their support ...but that the fact :that u have to pay for it(the support). im sure their support is great.. esp if ur paying for it. but bottom line... u buy a product from them.. support is free. and im tired of seeing this 2 yr lmt warrantie bull ****. america is a capitalistic power house yet other countries have laws saying 5yrs is a mandatory warranty on consumer products.

totaly off subject. I rescently bought a phillips portable cd player from walmart since my original JVC i had , since the dawn of shock protection, had seen one too many falls and needed to be replaced. . the damn thing stopped working after 2 days.. i decided i would do the old "consumer knows best switcharoonie" (where u buy the same product and switch the broken with the new, then take back to the store for refund bit) well walmart didnt sell them anymore... this is less than a week after i bought it...

err im too lazy to go through the rma bs. regardless.. the thing only has a 3month warranty and id have to pay nonrefunded shipping... WHICH COSTS MORE THAN WHAT I PAID FOR IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!,. what kind of **** is that.?

Comment

hey does your compressor have a proper dust filter? if not, it may damage your mobo/ other stuff

Comment

umm. i hope

Comment

I got a new pSU; things are running OK right now. I hope it stays that way. that sata controller was really messing up my bios. I had to flash my bios. Im def not buying another card from syba.

Comment

strange, case that PSU should have handled things fine.
                ah well, touch wood...

Comment

hey man,
                  lose the 2x512 sticks or the 1 gig stick,problems right there alone(mix and matching ram sizes\brands rarely works out).now for your hd issue(s).for the cost of sata controller u could simply buy a new mobo and hd man.these both have raid 0-1 $25-$50
                  Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1070907493+1297419555&Subc ategory=22&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxP rice=

nf3 mobos own in your socket $28...open box is fine,i bought i million things open boxed things and never 1 problem ever,new egg will notsell u broken stuff(no driver cd or cables..big deal)
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813135192R

these hardrives are amazing fast for $40 dude..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16822148040R
                  Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

i would NOT have got into a third party sata controller route,thats just another component to break in my opinion.for under $70 u could get new mobo and h\d setup?but this is just my noob opinion being i know nothing..... good luck dude
                  Last edited by bf2nut; 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM.
                  Stacker830 Watercooled
                  windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                  Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                  8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                  Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                  13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                  (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                  biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                  xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                  sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                  co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                  Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                  Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Originally posted by bf2nut
                    hey man,
                    lose the 2x512 sticks or the 1 gig stick,problems right there alone(mix and matching ram sizes\brands rarely works out).now for your hd issue(s).for the cost of sata controller u could simply buy a new mobo and hd man.these both have raid 0-1 $25-$50
                    Mixing and matching RAM is just fine when not running dual channel and is not a case to cause a problem. End of story.

nf3 mobos own in your socket $28...open box is fine,i bought i million things open boxed things and never 1 problem ever,new egg will notsell u broken stuff(no driver cd or cables..big deal)
                    Newegg will not sell you broken stuff by choice, but **** happens in transit. A new mobo is really a worthless upgrade since Socket A is obsolete.

i would NOT have got into a third party sata controller route,thats just another component to break in my opinion.for under $70 u could get new mobo and h\d setup?but this is just my noob opinion being i know nothing..... good luck dude
                    Nothing wrong with a 3rd party SATA controller. That's like saying using an AGP/PCI video card is stupid if you have onboard.

Originally posted by Munkul
                    strange, case that PSU should have handled things fine.
                    ah well, touch wood...
                    A 380w PSU of any brand really is pushing the limits with a GeForce 6xxx and 3 hard disk drives. Not a big surprise to hear a bigger PSU fixed the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2005
                      A 380w PSU of any brand really is pushing the limits with a GeForce 6xxx and 3 hard disk drives. Not a big surprise to hear a bigger PSU fixed the problem.
                      gues im lazy with power supplies...

i agree with the 3rd party sata controller. they allow better raid options and take load off the northbridge/southbridge. i want one for my rig when i get a new disk.

Comment

Working...
                      X