Old system, what to do next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old system, what to do next?

I have an old system I'm working on that someone wants me to get going for them that they bought at a rummage sale for $5. I managed to get Windows 98SE installed on it and I found all the curent drivers for the system. However this was not an easy task since I had a tough time tring to get the system to recognize the harddrive. I've had to manually go into the bios and try several times to get it to see the drive. Even when saved and set to auto or user the system seems to loose track of the IDE harddrive and then you have to go back into the bios and try to get it to find it again. This happens most often after several reboots. When I was first trying to get the system to reconize the drive I did try another drive but it seemed to have a tough time seeing that one also.
    Does this sound like a mainboard issue with the IDE port or something else? I've tried different IDE cables and updated the bios from vers 3.3 to the latest version 3.7 but this didn't seem to help much. My next step will probably be to take it outside to the air compressor and blow air on the IDE port on the mainboard incase there is some type of contamination on it but I didn't see anything at first glance, so my hopes of this being the cuase are not very high.

Specs;
    Athlon XP 1600+ CPU
    MSI K7T266 Pro2 mainboard with VIA chipset
    Diamond Viper V770AGP video card
    256 MBsystem ram
    30 WD harddrive

Re: Old system, what to do next?

Sounds like a HD problem. Try plugging the HD into the secondary IDE channel and see if you get the same thing. If so, definate HD problem or IDE controller took a ****.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2005
      Sounds like a HD problem. Try plugging the HD into the secondary IDE channel and see if you get the same thing. If so, definate HD problem or IDE controller took a ****.

This I'm sure is a really stupid question but I'm guessing the only way to fix the IDE controller is to relace the mainboard. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
        This I'm sure is a really stupid question but I'm guessing the only way to fix the IDE controller is to relace the mainboard. Right?
        Yes and no. I don't recommend fixing the IDE controller; I recommend installing an add-on PCI-bus based ATA-133 card. They are cheap, and support the fastest ATA standard. But if you want to "fix" the controller, then yes, you are best off replacing the mainboard. Choose door #1.

And amd man, thanks for fixing my account; I actually did complete the registration and verification, so that's wierd.
        Last edited by Das Capitolin; 07-07-2006, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I have had similar problems with a few systems spread out amung friends, IDE controler was partialr fried, PCI card fixed everything. Had to reinstall windows though.

Comment

Just a thought. Is it possible that the mobo battery is dieing? You might only notice that it is forgetting the hard drive but maybe it is loosing its' mind altogether.
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg
              Just a thought. Is it possible that the mobo battery is dieing? You might only notice that it is forgetting the hard drive but maybe it is loosing its' mind altogether.
              I'm just starting to do some troubleshoots on it this morning. I think I'll run up town to get a battery right away. Thanks for all the imput people.

UPDATE: It must be the harddrive. I tried one of my old Maxtor drives that I have laying around and it seems to see that every time. Plus it see's it in about 2 seconds versus the 30 seconds or more that the original took whenever it decides to be found.
              Last edited by Spongebob; 07-09-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X