Help for AMD64 3200+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for AMD64 3200+

Lo all, i'm after help on overclocking my system. After lot's of reading i still cannot make sence of alot of the jargon.
    System :- Asus k8v se deluxe
    AMD64 3200+ (754) Clawhammer
    2 x 1Gb Corsair CMX1024 (matched pair)
    200Gb HD
    ATI RADEON X800 PRO/GTO 256Mb AGP (with Artic cooler4)
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

I know it's not the best system out there but it put's up a good fight. I have only got the stock cooler on the cpu at the mo but have got a Arctic Cooling PRO CPU Cooler with Heat pipe coming.
    I have looked at upping the FSB in the Bios but not 100% sure how far to take it and i have also read that i'll have to up some of the voltages.
    For my X800 i use ati tool and have got it up to 530 on the core and 560 on the memory. Max temp on that seems to be 51'c , 35' min and a average of 41'. I'd like to know if that's good-bad- or normal
    Thank's for any help given Paul

Re: Help for AMD64 3200+

Well, first thing you need to do is find the Clear CMOS jumper and learn how to do that. Basically, when you push it too far it will fail to boot up and you will need to clear CMOS to get it to cooperate again. Just upp the HTT by 1 and leave the Vcore stock. Use Prime95 to check for stability, if it passes an hour then I'd up the HTT again. Do that until it either errors out in prime or won't post/boot. Then it is time to raise voltages, but only alittle bit at a time. Just take it very slow and don't forget to drop the HT multiplier to 3. If your ram is not high end ram, you might need to put a divider on that too.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
      Well, first thing you need to do is find the Clear CMOS jumper and learn how to do that. Basically, when you push it too far it will fail to boot up and you will need to clear CMOS to get it to cooperate again. Just upp the HTT by 1 and leave the Vcore stock. Use Prime95 to check for stability, if it passes an hour then I'd up the HTT again. Do that until it either errors out in prime or won't post/boot. Then it is time to raise voltages, but only alittle bit at a time. Just take it very slow and don't forget to drop the HT multiplier to 3. If your ram is not high end ram, you might need to put a divider on that too.
      Thank's for that but wot is the CMOS jumper ? and any idea's were it'll be ? Also why do i have to drop the multiplier ? Also the RAM is Corsair Platinum Series 2GB TwinX2048 3200C2PT DDR so i think this is at the higher end.

Comment

Look in your motherboard's manual to locate the CMOS jumper. Alternatively, you just simply pull out the CMOS battery (a circular piece of metal in a clip on the motherboard; looks like a watch battery) and put it back to clear the CMOS. If you overclock goes to far and the system fails to boot, this is what you do.

In the BIOS, try taking the FSB up 5 or 10MHz at a time. You'll need to increase voltage a little every so often. Check your CPU temps and run Prime95 (google it) to test for stability. Also, you'll want to lower the video card overclock, because overclocking the CPU will increase the system temperature and probably cause your video card to produce artifacts or become unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
          Look in your motherboard's manual to locate the CMOS jumper. Alternatively, you just simply pull out the CMOS battery (a circular piece of metal in a clip on the motherboard; looks like a watch battery) and put it back to clear the CMOS. If you overclock goes to far and the system fails to boot, this is what you do.

In the BIOS, try taking the FSB up 5 or 10MHz at a time. You'll need to increase voltage a little every so often. Check your CPU temps and run Prime95 (google it) to test for stability. Also, you'll want to lower the video card overclock, because overclocking the CPU will increase the system temperature and probably cause your video card to produce artifacts or become unstable.

Hi again, so do i have to do the CMOS thing before i do any sort of overclocking on the CPU ? If so i'll wait till the new cooler turn's up. Also wot is the CMOS for as i have read that it holds the time and date on your m/c.
          Even though i have a Artic cooler on the video card will i still have to drop the setting's ? At the moment i have a motherboard temp of 25'c / cpu temp of 44'c and video card temp of 32'c.
          Also when will i know when to up the voltage's.
          Thank's all

Comment

You don't have to it beforehand. As I said, you only need to remove it if an overclock fails.

CMOS stands for complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor. It stores BIOS settings, including the time and date.

If you're video card is 32C, you're fine. The CPU temp is unacceptable for overclocking, but it should be fine after you install the replacement. If you test the system for stability every 5 or 10 MHz, you'll know when to turn up the voltage. If the system fails to boot or crashes in Windows, you probably need more voltage.

You'll also need to set a divider on your RAM. There should be an option that either allows you to set it to 333MHz or one that gives you a RAM:FSB ratio, such as 1/1. If this ratio exists, set it to 3/4 or something similar, the lower number being the RAM speed.

Comment

You don't have to it beforehand. As I said, you only need to remove it if an overclock fails.

CMOS stands for complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor. It stores BIOS settings, including the time and date.

If you're video card is 32C, you're fine. The CPU temp is unacceptable for overclocking, but it should be fine after you install the replacement. If you test the system for stability every 5 or 10 MHz, you'll know when to turn up the voltage. If the system fails to boot or crashes in Windows, you probably need more voltage.

You'll also need to set a divider on your RAM. There should be an option that either allows you to set it to 333MHz or one that gives you a RAM:FSB ratio, such as 1/1. If this ratio exists, set it to 3/4 or something similar, the lower number being the RAM speed.
              Thats why we have forums, So that dumb folk like me dont fry there systems. Thanks for that i'll wait till the new cooler comes before i do anything.
              Also if i lower RAM will that not slow thing's down or reduce it's performance ?

Comment

Nah, RAM speed matters almost nothing on Athlon 64s. Besides, as you overclock the processor you'll also overclock the RAM. You'll probably get the RAM to or around DDR400 speeds anyway.

Comment

Nah, RAM speed matters almost nothing on Athlon 64s. Besides, as you overclock the processor you'll also overclock the RAM. You'll probably get the RAM to or around DDR400 speeds anyway.
                  Right, so i'll be lowering one to raise the other then that will re-raise the first one. Sounds mad but i'm willing to try anything once. I'll wait till the new cooler come's before i do it though.
                  Why does th RAM speed not matter on Athlon 64's ?
                  Thanks all

Comment

Sounds crazy, but you've got it exactly right. You're right to wait as well.

It just doesn't. Athlon 64s don't need a lot of memory bandwidth to perform well. RAM speed can affect things other than processing performance, but even there, it's a negligible difference at best.

Comment

Back so quick.. Good post service.. Right got Freezer 64 pro on now and the temp on the cpu has dropped to 36'c. Do i have to give this any time to bed in before overclocking or can i just go right ahead ? Also should i get some better paste or is the stuff that it comes with ok ?
                      Thanks all

Comment

use 1 drop about the size of a grain of rice is good right in the center.after applied use something like a credit card to smooth it evenly around the top of your processor .but dont let it ooze over the sides because artic silver 5 is conductive.alot of ppl make the mistake and add to much thermal paste which actually makes the layer to thick between the contact of cpu and heatsink making it work against u.in this case less is more.and get the highest cfm fans in front,back,and sides,top are optional if your case has these openings(grab that dremel if not!,lol).i only use sunon brand name fans because they are thee highest quality without all the bells and whistles and deliver some nice air.highest cfms often come with a noise penalty tho.higher the cfm,louder the fan.good luck bro.i always like a 80-120mm on the top of the case.
                        Last edited by bf2nut; 08-11-2006, 01:25 PM.
                        Stacker830 Watercooled
                        windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
                        Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
                        8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
                        Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
                        13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
                        (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
                        biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
                        xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
                        sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
                        co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
                        Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                        Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Lo again, I've now got it up to 210Mhz , the temp is still down at 35'c. Found the RAM ratios but dont know which 1 to pick ? It is set to AUTO at the mo but i have the options:- 1.1 DDR200 / 4.3 DDR266 / 3.2 / 5.3 DDR333 / 2.1 DDR400.
                          Also i found the HT Frequency it is set to 800Mhz but there is the options of 600,400,200 do i need to alter that at all ?

Also i cannot find the cpu multiplier as is say's on the EVEREST Program
                          that the Multiplier is on 10.0x.
                          And just done a mem test on read, wright and lat and it came up as PC3300
                          HELP!!!!

Thanks all
                          Last edited by Madmox; 08-11-2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X