i think my cpu might be at the end of it's days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think my cpu might be at the end of it's days

how can u tell if a CPU is close to dieing becouse my computer's been getting slower and slower no matter how many times i format it

Re: i think my cpu might be at the end of it's days

I would doubt that has anything to do with the CPU, it is most likely the Hard drive or some Ram issues. Which could be caused by a powersupply problem. This is all guessing. I can't start to say for sure untill you give me the rest of your computers specs with model numbers of everything, and some more specific problems. Eg error numbers orwhat applications are slower ect.

Comment

well i cant give u model numbers and stuff like that but this is my current rig

proccesor: intel pentium 4 1.6GHz
      memory: 768MB pc133 1stick of 265 and 1 of 512 (corsair)
      hard drive: 180GB 1x160 hitatchi thing 1x 20GB older maxtor disk
      3d card nvidia geforce FX 5600 EP
      PSU: thermaltake pure power 460w blue light
      motherbord: a dell optiplex GX 240 (845 chipset)

not the best rig but it used to run games like CSS, doom3 and stuff like that

and whats slower... everything booting, xp, even the boot menu that u get when u format a HD and dont get me started on how games are running becouse there all running crap to **** to not

Comment

If possible, it is upgrade time. That stuff is just too outdated to keep throwing money at. About the only thing salvageable is that powersupply. If upgrading is not an option, try swapping the hardrive you use as the master with one of the others and see what happens. AMD64 prices have dropped dramatically and you could get a motherboard/CPU/ram for under $400. You could also get a good video card for under $150. So for under $550 you could get something modern.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

yea thought so i already got a update for my system planned all i need now is the cash to get the parts thinking of upgrading to this

proccesor: intel core duo 2 E6600 @ 3GHz
          mobo: asus P5B deluxe or gigabyte 965P-DQ6
          (micht wait till the nforce 590 intel mobo's are on the market)
          memory: ocz ddr2 pc2-6400 platinum 2x1024
          3d card: xfx 6800 xt xxx
          (kinda waiting for the dx10 cards to come out before i buy a high end card)

Comment

DAMN!!! Now that is an upgrade! Save you cash and limp ole bessy until you can do it. You are gonna need new underwear when you see the speed difference between your current system and the one you are planning.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

if the mobo is covered in dust, blow it all off

Comment

it's not coverd in dust to my suprise when i took a closer look at all my parts nearly none of them where coverd in dust only the cooler from my 3d card had a lil bit dust in it's cooling ribs but it's weird that i have nearly no dust on my other componenst seeing as my computer has run non stop for the last year or 2 with sometimes a short break of 1h or so to place a new fan and the longest was 4h when i put it in a new case that has better cooling

Comment

Working...
                X