Athlon 64 3500+ Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 64 3500+ Question

Recently bought a new asus mobo and the 3500 chip and I really like the way it works. Questions being, what should the normall operating temp be for this CPU? I have a fairly large case with LOTS of cooling: 2x120mm fans 1 front 1 side, 2x80mm rear, 1x80mm left side and 1x80mm top. All I have seen for max temps are 34 degrees C at full load. Stock amd cooler without the usual AS5 thermal compound. The CPU is on the san diego core and is the lower voltage variety. Could somebody please let me know if this is right? I was used to my old barton core 3200+ running a whole lot warmer than this maybe that is why I find it so suprising. These temps come from the bios as well as the asus PC Probe utility. Thanks for shedding some light on this for me.

Re: Athlon 64 3500+ Question

What motherboard model exactly, aswell as the rest of your PC specs, eg powersupply RAM etc.

Comment

Asus A8N-VM, Xaser skull series case, 2x512MB corsair XMS PC-3200, Ultra X-COnnect 500 Watt PSU, Lite-ON DVD burner and Lite-On DVD ROM drive, floppy drive, all fans are vantec stealth models. Seagate 120Gig primary HDD, Maxtor 300Gig secondary HDD for storage both SATA, barracuda has 8mb cache, diamondmax has 16mb cache.
      Last edited by MGDGuy; 08-16-2006, 06:21 AM.

Comment

That isn't a San Diego core, it is most likely the Venice core. They run nice and cool on stock speeds if you have good airflow.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

The chip is tagged as a venice/san diego core according to sandra on the 90nm process. Going to let everything run in for a while and then I am going to drop the hammer on this thing and see what she's got for speed. Never oc'd a 64 before, aside from the usual FSB what else should I know about getting the most out of this chip? Thanks for your help guys. Have plenty of air flow in the case apparently, as I write this asus probe shows 23C. Had no idea this thing was going to be like this at all, like I said I was used to an old cpu that pumped out plenty of heat.
          Last edited by MGDGuy; 08-16-2006, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Get a better cooler! it may seem like overkill on that cool running chip, but an arctic cooling freezer 64 (or whatever else you see that offers good cooling) will help tremendously. use voltage; or am i teaching granny to suck eggs here?

Comment

No granny here dude!!! Just have ZERO experience when overclocking the 64 bit cpu, that's all. Allright, you started, voltage bump and then..... There seem to be a lot more thing in the BIOS than I was accustomed to so that is why I am asking. Do not want to mess up the new parts right away.......give it at least a month. Thanks for your help in this matter guys.

Comment

Working...
              X