Best raid setup to go with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best raid setup to go with

I have a 250 sata and just got a matching one. I have had just one for over a year now but think maybe I would like to do an raid setup. Is it possible now? If so, what is the best raid setup?
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Re: Best raid setup to go with

Is the raid 1 actually good for home use. It will have farm data that is important. Would it be just as good to have two hard drives and do regular backups to it and once in awhile to backup to dvd.
    Windows 7 Professional
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

Originally posted by ingeborgdot View Post
      Is the raid 1 actually good for home use. It will have farm data that is important. Would it be just as good to have two hard drives and do regular backups to it and once in awhile to backup to dvd.
      yes if you remember to do it, mirroring is automatic
      http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I've got a RAID 1 array at home. Very useful. Hell, I've already had a drive failure, so I'd say it was critical. Useful is an understatement.

I wouldn't do a RAID setup unless you have a different drive for the operating system. RAID 1 gives a good boost in read speed, but a greater increase in write times and CPU utilization.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th View Post
          I've got a RAID 1 array at home. Very useful. Hell, I've already had a drive failure, so I'd say it was critical. Useful is an understatement.

I wouldn't do a RAID setup unless you have a different drive for the operating system. RAID 1 gives a good boost in read speed, but a greater increase in write times and CPU utilization.

Why would you not do a raid unless you have the os on a different drive?
          Windows 7 Professional
          1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
          1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

its easier and gives you more flexibility to change your OS, rebuild OS etc without losing your data array.
            http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

So let's say you have a raid one with the os on the same drive as your files etc. and you have partitioned your drive for your folders. Will that make a difference? What would you say the best way is then? Raid 1 os on two smaller hds and raid 1 for files etc. on another 2 hds?
              What you are saying that if raid 1 is used and I want to change os to say vista I will lose my array when I do? What will happen to the info on the other partition?
              Windows 7 Professional
              1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
              1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

I wouldn't do a RAID 1 on the OS drive simply because it's considerably slower than a single drive or a RAID 0, and having your OS on a slower drive is the worst thing you can do. A RAID 10 or 01, on the other hand, would be great for an OS drive.

However, reinstalling your OS shouldn't affect the data on a separate partition. Partitioning a drive doesn't do great things for performance, though. It's really just an organizational tool

Comment

Working...
                X