Backup Appliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Appliance

I'm looking for a reliable backup appliance. I have tried a exboot usb drive, and while it is good for me, it is too expensive and inefficient for all my employees to use. Does anyone know of a network attached backup device?

Re: Backup Appliance

There are several on the market, but a majority of the ones worked with by normal folks will work from a single hard drive. If you are working in a business setting, you would probably be better served by first off creating at least a RAID5 array (redundancy and hiot-swappable hardware in the event of a failure) and even creating a storage server that hooks into the network for backups. This will give you the space you need, the reliability of a second backup residing somewhere than the primary server, and also better administration capabilities for managing the data of your employees.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I agree with Darth, you can google or search on a computer site for Network Attached Storage and more than likely find what you're looking for. NAS would work very well, if you don't have too many employees, but if you have more than five or six users on your network, I'd go with a server, again with RAID and hot swap capabilities. You could also use the server for administrative functions of the network, etc

Comment

Thanks guys. I definately like the idea of using a NAS with RAID 5. Do you know of a product that includes a block or file based backup function, that is, a program built into the NAS to automatically backup every system on the network.

It would be great if it included a recovery tool for diaster recovery.

Comment

I found a sweet device. It is called the freeStor 4020 and it is made by freedom9.com.au. Has anyone tried this appliance?

Comment

I haven't, but hopefully someone else has. You could also Google for some reviews on this type of device and see what others are saying about it.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I found an emulator for this product.

I'm ordering one from freedom9 Australia tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
              X