Help with tweak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with tweak

Hi everyone. I recently found this website from a post at Anandtech.com, and started following the Win XP tweak guide ("From reformat to relax" by Koroush Ghazi) on one of my computers.

I got to the HDD optimization on page 4 and followed the suggestion to uncheck the option to compress the hard drive and uncheck the option to index files. Windows then started the process to apply these changes, and the dialog box indicated that it would take about 20 hours to complete (!). So, I went to bed and allowed it to keep running overnight.

Today I woke up and found that the computer had restarted. It had only been about 7 hours since the process had started so I was surprised -- I expected to have about another 13 hours to go. I logged in and saw a balloon saying that an update had been applied automatically, and it had required an automatic restart of my computer.

The problem is that now my computer is excruciatingly slow. Every time I do anything it hangs for several seconds (20-30 seconds) before accessing the hard drive (the computer just sits there, the mouse pointer does not respond to mouse movements and the hard drive light is off). Then it "wakes up", continues doing whatever it was doing before it froze, works fine for a minute or so, and then it hangs again. This process repeats itself continuously.

I am not sure what could be causing it. My first guess is that the automatic update somehow interrupted the process to change the HDD compression and indexing settings, and it is somehow screwing with disk access. The other guess is that the disk overheated from so many hours of continuous work. I turned the computer off and will allow it to cool down all day today to see if it resolves the issue, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to what else might be causing this problem or how to resolve it.

Most of my data is backed up so I could, if necessary, just reformat and reinstall XP (or try repairing/installing without reformatting?) , but i'd rather avoid this for obvious reasons!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: changed the subject title to make the content more obvious
    Last edited by wgoldfarb; 03-02-2007, 08:10 AM. Reason: edited for a clearer title

Re: Help with tweak

20 hours to change indexing and compression settings? WOW! Just how many TBs of hard drive do you have? I'm thinking you had problems long before you started. System specs might help to identify the problem.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
      20 hours to change indexing and compression settings? WOW! Just how many TBs of hard drive do you have? I'm thinking you had problems long before you started. System specs might help to identify the problem.
      The system is an old Pentium III 1GHz HP Pavillion with 256MB RAM. The hard drive is a Seagate 40GB HDD 5400 RPM (so yes, it is slow, which is why I was trying to do this tweak in the first place). The disk is about 35% full. It is only really used by my kids to browse and play (they are young, so their gaming isn't yet very demanding) and I also have some photos stored in it (hence the 35% disk usage) but they are also backed up to an external drive. The kids are set up with limited user accounts, so I don't think they could have done much to cause the problems. Originally the computer had Win2K installed, but when I gave it to my kids I got a copy of XP, thinking it would be better for them than Win2K.

I had never changed indexing/compression before so I was not sure if the 20 hours were normal -- I figured it was a result of the 5400 RPM. You may be right, the problems may have been there to start with. Maybe I just need to reinstall XP, or bite the bullet, reformat, and go back to Win2K. In either case I probably should upgrade to a 7200 RMP HDD, but for a computer that is used mostly by my small kids to browse the net, I don't know if it is worth it.

I will wait a few hours for HDD to cool down, and will post an update to see if the problem was resolved.

Comment

I've seen XP run with much lower specs but it doesn't run fast that way for sure. I have no idea what the current problem is but if it has slowed down since you installed XP originally then it may be time to reformat. Have you done antivirus, spyware, and trojan scans recently? Maybe you have malware running in the background compounding the problem. More RAM would prolly be my first move on that system if you are going to be running XP. Windows 98SE would run much faster with what you have now ... assuming the kids games will run under it.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I keep antivirus and firewall software up to date, and regularly scan for other malware. I am fairly confident that the system is clean.

Frankly, for such an old system that is mainly used by my kids to play, I am hesitant to invest any more money into it. I may just revert to Win2K (which is what I had originally installed) and leave it at that.

Thanks for your advice and help

Comment

Working...
          X