Upgrade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Question

Ok im "considering" upgrading my P4 3.2 to the E6700 since its now somewhat affordable (OEM no fan version for around $600 AUS). Is this a worthwhile upgrade? How much of a performance benefit could i expect?

Ive just upgraded other components of my system to 8800gtx vid from 2 x 7600GT's, SB XFI pro sound card, corsair 620HX PSU, new Gigabyte aurora 570 case & galaxy2 liquid cooling. Ive 2G ddr2 533 Ram (should i upgrade this to ddr2-800?) WD Raptor 150gb HDD x 2 all sitting on Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 motherboard.

My spec list may seem somehwhat unbalanced but thats because i take the approach that when it comes to HDD's for example id rather buy the best once & be done with it as its not like a new better HDD will in all likelihood come out in 6/12 months hence the Raptors, sound card & case. Same thought process with the DQ6 i wanted a good somewhat future proof base to build my system on. I dont take the same approach with CPU's cause they not only get outdated almost as soon as u buy them but also the costs of top models tend to be prohibitive for little gain & I am on a budget. The 8800 was an exception as my 7600's werent up to the job anymore & if im going to upgrade might as well get a dx10 card instead of maybe a 7900 or 2 now & having to spend again in a few months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated & thanx in advance.
    Last edited by sparky1978; 04-20-2007, 02:49 AM.

Re: Upgrade Question

Hi, just decided to sign up after randomly seeing your post :P a p4 3.2ghz to Intel Core2Duo E6700 is very much a worthwhile upgrade especially with a gpu like the 8800GTX (that GPU would make that cpu such a bottleneck!) but you've also got to upgrade your motherboard as i expect your current is not based on one which currently supports C2D (ones that do are P965 i975x, NF600 series and the new AMD 480x) and that RAM is pretty much the minimum for running that processor, if you do plan to upgrade to Core2Duo DDR2-800 is thoroughly recommended and if you plan to overclock or want a nice basis for your system, Intel P965 and nVidia nForce680 chipsets are nice options, I'm personally planning on upgrading this September possibly to a C2D E4400 + DDR2-800 + P965 + G80 ^^

Comment

Thankyou for the help :) My motherboard is a 965 chipset so no worries there. Ok well looks like im going to upgrade my CPU. RAM will have to wait for a couple months though as i'll have to pay off this upgrade 1st lol.

Comment

The RAM can wait but don't expect the greatest of performance with your current - but it'll be substantially better than your current processor... because if i recall my old AMD AthlonXP-m 1600 @ 2.2ghz beat my friend's pr 3ghz @ 3.3ghz (then athlon64 is better and core2duo even better still!) After you get a RAM upgrade that will be a very nice rig which most people would be proud to have ^^ unless of course they have a 30inch screen...

Comment

Working...
        X