Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choppiness with my Computer...Unstable??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choppiness with my Computer...Unstable??

Hey all,
    I haven't posted much lately because I moved into a new house. Anyways, I'm having some problems with my computer ( I built the comp after I moved to the new house so the connections are ok). I have a EVGA 122-CK-NF68 mobo and get a lot of choppiness with the computer. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens often enough. And it's not always when the computer is under a lot of stress, sometimes it happens when I just have one browser open and sometimes it's fine. But I also notice it when the computer is under stress. I recorded a st****ing radio file for 7 hours becuase I was at work one day, and when I play it the computer really starts to stutter (mouse) after a couple minutes. I haven't been playing around with computers so much the last year so I'm really out of it information wise. I know people had problems with this board because of the reviews I read when I built the computer. but I'm about to install flight simulator and am afraid the computer is going to get choppy when playing it. FYI, it's never crashed except once: yesterday I got a message about not having enough disk space or something like that when multitasking.
    I have an EVGA 8800 GTS video card, sound blaster live sound card, 2 36 gb raptors in RAID 0, and a WD caviar hd, and Intel E6600 2.4 GHz overclocking to 3.38 GHz.

I was thinking....that it may be the RAID setup. While the computer is responding slowly (choppiness), the hard drives seem to be caching a lot or transferring a lot of data. What could be the problem with the RAID setup as I'm not familiar with problems. Could it be the cluster size I chose when I created the array?

I am OC'ing, but I'm not sure how relevant that is to the problem. everything is fine when at the desktop. Earlier today, it got really bad when just surfing the internet??? I'm stumped.
    Thanks

Re: Choppiness with my Computer...Unstable??

Originally posted by FroGGer View Post
    ....Intel E6600 2.4 GHz overclocking to 3.38 GHz.....
    I used to have a desktop computer but I sold it on August. I hear the sound stuttering, just like the audio of a CD player after I kicked it.

The stuttering appears when I play NFS: Most Wanted after 45 minutes.

I updated drivers... No avail.

Defrag, Despyware, Devirus, Registry clean, Scan Disk... Nada!!!

Okay, I GONE BALLISTIC!!! Backup Files!!! REFORMAT AND REINSTALL!!!

Frustratingly... NO!!!

My PSU was a generic 325 watt unit. My uncle gave me a 500 watt PSU pulled from his unit.

I installed the new PSU (500W) in my pc....

Stutters are eliminated... It was the Crap-O PSU all along

So, Is your Power Supply up to the challenge? Remember: Overclocking consumes more power.

POSSIBLE FIXES:

1. Oh yeah, so your comp was O/Cing, if you cant find a PSU, try putting off the O/C and see if it stops?

2. If your computer got bad by just surfing the net, you might have caught a virus. Check your History. Known sites for distributing virus are those sites that are misspelled (Search Goggle.com on YouTube) and the sites that contain illegal stuff.

3. Get a new PSU, Try one with the 500W or best, more. An O/Cd C2D, RAID, and a high end GFX card must have a good psu.

DANGER! GOGGLE.COM CAN DESTROY YOUR PC IF YOU DON'T HAVE GOOD PROTECTION! DO NOT VISIT IT!
    Last edited by Aguiluz; 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM. Reason: Fixed misspelling, removed signature

Comment

I have a PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer and I also brought the o/c back down to 3.04 GHz and it's still happening. It seems like it happens the majority of the time, but not every single time. I have no idea what the heck is going on. I may try flashing the BIOS to the newest revision.

Comment

Return it to stock and see if it still is.
        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
        SC: Audigy 2 zs
        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Thanks for the responses...I'm a little slow I don't know why I didn't lower the CPU speed but anyways, I did return it to 2.4 and all seems fine. I've been using the computer for about 4 days now and no choppiness has occurred except for a couple times, but it wasn't continuous. I guess I though 3 GHz would be ok since a lot of people got it past 3GHZ no problem. I know that every board is different, but I was expecting a bit more. Maybe my timings are set to low with my 3GHz CPU speed??
          Or maybe my voltages are too low?

Comment

No one responded the first time so I will repost. I know the oc of each comp is different but why is it that at a meager 3 GHz I was experiencing so much unstableness. I have good RAM. Maybe I should try to loosen the timings when I try to oc again. I haven't updated the BIOS yet, maybe that would help?
            Thanks

Comment

What memory and OS do you run? What voltages do you use when overclocking? What settings were you using in regards to memory and CPU clocks? What kind of hard drive is that secondary drive? Choppiness is usually instability. Also, run spyware/adaware/virus scans and also run disk cleanup and defrag. Updating the bios is a good idea along with all your drivers. 680i based motherboards are not the best choice out there as well, they are known to have issues, but I am not sure if they relate to your issues.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
              Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
              Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate
              Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
              X