shutdown problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutdown problem

After doing some updates on my SG33G5M (bios Y, Intel) I'm unable to properly shutdown my system.
    The system seems to shutdown and I even notice the harddisk to stop/lock and then it takes about 5 sec before the blue powerled and the fan stops. But after again 5 sec the system starts up again.

In the bios all wake-up functions are disabled and I also disabled the start up on error option in Vista. With google I ran out of options for now

I suspect an update I used from the shuttle site (bios?) causes the behaviour.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Petje; 10-02-2007, 12:35 PM.
    Grtz,
    Ron

Shuttle SG33G5M
    E6750, 2.66GHz
    Team Xtreem Elite 2048 MB, PC6400, 800MHz, 5, Non-ECC, kit of 2
    Western Digital HDD 500GB, sata2, 16MB, 7200rpm
    NEC AD-7173S-ATA DVD-RW
    ACER TFT AL2251AW 22", 2ms

Re: shutdown problem

Not any suggestions you would like something about not wishing Vista on even an enemy come to mind. I can tell you I have not shutdown problems with either the 32bit or 64bit version of Kubuntu Linux both work fine with the latest Shuttle bios. I think the bios is Y it has a date of 8/29/07 I updated early in September.

Comment

Re: shutdown problem

I discovered that in the Advanced tab of the network device (Marvell) properties the option wake from shutdown was enabled. This one is also needed to Wake on Lan (besides the BIOS setting).

Even when in the BIOS all the wake-up functions were disabled it still manages to restart the machine after a shotdown.
      Somehow the BIOS power management has a problem in controlling this network device option properly at shutdown.
      It could be a network driver issue (sending the wrong message) or a BIOS bug.

Now I don't see a possibility to enable WOL with this unexpected behaviour.
      A shame, because it is an option I use a lot.

Maybe the next BIOS release or NIC driver can fix this handling.

Could someone please do a test with his/her SG33G5(M) to confirm this behaviour??
      Grtz,
      Ron

Shuttle SG33G5M
      E6750, 2.66GHz
      NEC AD-7173S-ATA DVD-RW

Comment

SOLVED: shutdown problem

Somehow, after the shutdown, it was the standard network activity in my LAN what caused the reboot.

The wake-up mode setting in the Advanced tab of the network card config settings was set to Magic Packet & Pattern Match should be set to Magic Packet only. The Pattern match setting was continiously triggered due to a incorrect functioning of this type, according to some reports on the net.
        Grtz,
        Ron

Shuttle SG33G5M
        E6750, 2.66GHz
        NEC AD-7173S-ATA DVD-RW

Comment

Working...
        X