Questions about mATX motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about mATX motherboards

Does all G33/G35 based mATX motherboards always have a built-in Intel video adapter? If I use a discrete graphics adapter, will the built-in Intel adapter be completely disabled? I intend on building a new PC with a mATX case and motherboard. I'm not a gamer and I'm using Linux almost exclusively. Basically, I'd like to use a Q6600, with 4 GB of RAM (need lots of RAM when you're addicted to virtualization software) and a passively cooled mainstream video card (i.e. XFX GeForce 8500 GT Ultra). My main priority for this new PC is for it to be as quiet and reliable as possible (no overclocking for me). Any advice is welcome. TIA

Re: Questions about mATX motherboards

Yes, as a rule the mATX line of mainboards include a graphics adapter onboard since these smaller boards are generally not used in a situation where high-end grapgics are needed. This allows for passable graphics with no noise since the GPU is normally passively cooled on the mainboard. To use an aftermarket video card you should only need to disable the onboard graphics adapter within BIOS.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Re: Questions about mATX motherboards

The onboard video should automatically disable once a videocard is pluged in but I'd be very wary of using a Q6600 in an mATX case as that CPU needs very good airflow which I've yet to see an mATX case provide (Q6600's run hot and a dual core would be much happier in such a case).

Comment

Working...
      X