Quality OC-compatible Mobo to Compliment Q6600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality OC-compatible Mobo to Compliment Q6600

Done my homework, almost went with a E6850 at the same price and found an article over at X-bit that showed the Quad core just shredding the Dual core CPU in an overclocked match. Granted, the Dual core does have advantages when it comes to gaming (which I'll be using it for, along with music recording/mixing/mastering), but the Quad core owns the Dual core on just air cooling.

My question is - what would you folks recommend for a solid mobo with good OCing options in BIOS? I don't have much cash, and I'm spending a lot on the CPU, so I'd like to keep the mobo cost somewhat down, preferably beneath the $200 US mark.

Re: Quality OC-compatible Mobo to Compliment Q6600

Try to buy any motherboard which supports the P35 or X38 chipset with crossfire support.

Any brand will do, e.g Gigabyte, asus[mind the high prices], foxconn etc.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Comment

You'll have to check pricing as I have no idea what they are over there and don't wish to spend time trawling through Newegg (who mightn't even be your preference)

I'm a self confessed Asus fanboy so I'll give you the models I would recommend.

You give no detail other than preferred price bracket and cpu so I will assume you're talking single graphics card and DDR2 memory as opposed to the (still exclusively, unless you win the lottery) expensive DDR3.

Asus P5KE (P35 Chipset) - Overview - Specification

Asus P5E (X38 Chipset) - Overview - Specification

I'll leave other brands for my fellow members to post.

Both boards are good overclockers and have the 8 phase power which reduces vdroop to negligible amounts.

Hopefully that has given you some helpful information.

Cheers,

E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Forgot to mention that I probably want to go with SLI for future use. And yes, Newegg is my preferred store.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath then unless you want to drop back to the 680i chipset, nvidia and Intel aren't playing nice at present, the alternative is Crossfire, which both these boards support.

Last known 680i was Striker Extreme

The 680i isn't Q6600 oc friendly from all reports, to do with FSB ceilings and memory holes (Google it) and as far as I've heard the 780i has been delayed until 2008 "sometime"

Lets hope one of the others can come up with something better for you.
          Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 12-12-2007, 03:50 AM. Reason: fixed link
          E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

So if OCing a Quad core really isn't that advantageous because of pricing and all the required additional items, such as DDR3 RAM, then what would be recommendations for a solid Dual core mobo?

Comment

Your going to get a lot of mixed feelings on this topic. I've read reports that people running the Q6600 have OC to 3.4Ghz on Air with a 680i chipset, and with no issues what so ever. I've heard about a few people with liquid cooling going all the way up to 3.8Ghz. Most people chose upper end MOBO like ASUS Striker Extream, GIGABYTE GA-X38T, and others alike.

Reports do say, that if you get a Q6600 and you want ot OC it, make sure it's the GO stepping, and not the B3.

I have the MSI P6N Diamond MOBO, and in the BIOS it has some nice OC features. It's not the best OC MOBO on the market, but it's also cost less then other upper end MOBO's. You can get one for around 225 buck, and it's has SLI, 4 PCIe slots, and lots of other features.

My friend just built a new system with a Q6600 and the ASUS Striker Extream and he pushed his system to 3.4Ghz on Air. He loves it, and is running two 8800GTS in SLI.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkens85 View Post
                So if OCing a Quad core really isn't that advantageous because of pricing and all the required additional items, such as DDR3 RAM, then what would be recommendations for a solid Dual core mobo?
                That's not what I was inferring, ocing a quad is advantageous for sure, it's just the combo of quad oc/SLi has been a bumpy road from what I've been reading, DDR3 ram is not a pre-requisite either as there are plenty of DDR2 ram boards that oc insanely.

Newer bios updates may address the issue but I'm not up to speed with them any longer. (I sort of stopped reading about 680i's when the P35's came out)

My question to you would be "Do you really need SLi?"

EDIT: Another option (How's that budget again???)

The German print and online magazine PC Games Hardware had the opportunity to bench Nvidia's tripple-SLI. The benchmarks have been done using Crysis and some other games. Unfortunately a unreleased Crysis build with number 5837 was used which seems to be optimized for triple-SLI. This new patch will be publicy available in a couple days.

So far only te 8800 GTX and 8800 Ultra are capable of running triple-SLI. What else is needed to run triple-SLI?

- 3 Geforce 8800 GTX or Ultra cards
                - a 3-way-SLI_Connectorboard (or as a alternative: 2 very short and 1 very long SLI-bridge)
                - a mainboard with 3 PCI-E-x16-slots (680i or the upcoming 7x0i)
                - the right Forceware driver (in this case 169.18 was used)
                - a PSU that is strong enough to provide enough juice =)

Nvidia recommends using at least a 1,100W PSU. The Thermaltake Topower that was used in the test was really stressed. The kill-a-watt-device showed a total power consumption of 819W.

The benchmarks were done with a system that Nvidia provided. It's specs are:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6850 @ 3000 MHz (333x9)
                Board: Asus P5N32-E SLI with Nforce 680i-Chipsatz
                RAM: 2x1,024 MiByte Corsair Dominator

As tests were used:
                Tests:
                • Crysis Build 3857, PCGH-Ice-Benchmark
                • Unreal Tournament 3, PCGH-vCTF-Suspense-Benchmark
                • Fear v1.08, int. performance-test
                • Company of Heroes, int. performance-test

VGA: 3x XFX Geforce 8800 Ultra (612/1,512/1,080 MHz)
                Driver: Forceware 169.18

The pictures speak for themselves =)
                (I'm not respnsible for the translation, copied from OCAU)

SOURCE

Article

Picture Gallery

Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM.

Comment

asus p5k is a good board if ur on a budget now but they dont support sli

hey guys im havin a p5k with 4gb geil ultra pc6400 and hav made a thread just wondering if sum 1 can help as ive never overclocked ram b4

asus P5N32-E SLI NF680i SLI

google that mother board they're reasonably price

Comment

my post hasn't been answered for about 3 o 4 days :(

Comment

ooh and luvin the picture my god am i dribbling at the moment
                      imagine it overclocked

Comment

I guess no, the answer is that I do not need SLI. I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible, i.e., quad core instead of dual.

Comment

Working...
                        X