Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P35C-DS3R Memory

Hello all,
    This is my first posting on this site and i am about to embark on my first PC build which will be mainly for gaming.
    So at the moment i am in the process on buying all the components i need, the specs will be:
    Antec P182 Gunmetal Grey Case
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
    GeForce 8800GT
    Windows Vista

The Thing i am not sure about is what memory set up i should get for the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, make and model would be a great help.

At the moment i am a little worried about using this board with all the problems people are having with it on this site, hopefully mine will be ok.
    Any advice would be great, thank you for your time.

Re: P35C-DS3R Memory

try this

Comment

Beware, dont buy 4gb of any high speed ram (1066) unless its 2gb per chip, this board (and many like it) cannot handle it, and will drive you crazy trying to figure out why its unstable, not sure why this isnt a disclaimer on the the box, because it is a huge issue that should be advertised openly.

Comment

Thanks for replies, was about to buy 4 memory sticks to get 4gig, (one below) will have to re think my plans.

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

Any 2x 2gb memory that people would recommend!
        Last edited by DJ33; 01-10-2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

That is good ram, its too bad manufacturers went so cheap on memory controllers, and with the means to correctly power them. havent done research on 2gb kits much, but I do see a couple on that site.. not all the same speed tho, g-skill has an interesting offer 2x2gb pc8000 which is like only 66mhz slower (or nothing basically).
          Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

As always I would read around and make sure this will work with the board, (whatever you choose) because some chips, although they do work with a motherboard, they dont by default (default voltage supplied is less than ram needs) so before building the system, see if ya got a friend around with some cheap ram you can put in just to post your system and change bios settings for your ram.

Comment

I noticed that g.skill is not on the pdf that Janus Yeh linked, does that mean it is likely to have problems?

I'm in a similar position. DS3R Rev 2.1, E8400, EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked, OCZ Powerstream 520W psu. I want to overclock to 9x450=4050MHz and I will be using XP SP2. What memory would folks recommend that can reliably hit DDR 900 on this board? I was thinking of getting a 2x1GB kit of the G.Skill CL4 HK DDR2 800, but their absence on the compatibility list has me hesitant.

Advice?

Comment

I use mushkins not on the lists on a 965p-s3 and a p35-ds4 board. As long as your ram can start at 1.8 it should be fine, then you can go in and change the voltages to what you need to anyway.

And nowadays with JEDEC most all ram runs at 1.8 5-5-5-15/18 anyway and then would be adjusted further by the user.

Just so you better know what I mean, I use 2GB 4-4-4-12 2.1 mushkin on my 965p-s3 board, and it started fine at 5-5-5-15 default with 1.8v

On my P35-DS4 i use Mushkin 2GB 4-5-4-11 2.1V memory and it started the same 5-5-5-15 at 1.8.

Neither of which is on the lists, nor do they say they run at the specified timings or volts for gigabyte boards.

Both sets I have taken to 1000 at 5-5-5 timings on my gigabyte boards no problems.

I think the "Warning" is there so you get 1.8 volt ram to boot in and be able to change it to 2.whatever you want. But most ram starts at 1.8 no matter what it says in specs because of the JEDEC standards most companies must adhere to.

G.Skill will be fine, I almost got some but the heatspreaders are pretty thin, and I love <Mushkins!

Comment

I use 4 sticks of that same exact Crucial memory. No problems in 6 months of running.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GIGABYTE - Janus Yeh View Post

What does the letter 'v' mean on your table?

Comment

It is mean "OK"

Comment

I have the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R VER 1.1 Bios F11 with the Q6600 Quad core chip (2.4 GHZ)0 G0 stepping). I have 4 sticks of OCZ ATI certified DDR2 model number OCZ2A8001G and I have noticed that I have had to format about every 4-6 months because my system gets slow and unstable. I was thinking of getting DDR 3 ram;
                      OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
                      Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB &#40;2 x 2GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 &#40;PC3 10666&#41; Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Also I have a physix card and ATI video card. would a 4850 or a 4870 be a good choice. i have the antec true power 1000 watt power supply(modular) and the antec 900 case. 2 samsung 500 gig hard drives and 1 asus dvd rw +/- dl DWL-1418lt sata. I am thinking it is my bios but i just wanted to ask and see what you guys thought as well.

thanks,
                      ironleg

Comment

Sounds like you install too much "Stuff" or get spyware or viruses maybe? You ram likely does not matter so much unless you are using the wrong settings. Then it would corrupt things, not make them slow.

I would suggest against getting DDR3 to solve that issue, you will likely have the same core issue. I would also suggest against that brand for P35

4870 is a nice card for sure. What was you thinking about it being your BIOS? You didn't say

Comment

I have tried just aa bare bones os install with all updates and and antivirus and 1 game and it ends up the same result. i usually have to format and reinstall the os because the computer os became too slow and unstable. My Bios is the latest F 11 for the GA-P35C-DS3R V 1.1 gigabyte board.
                          SO far I have RMA`d everything including the motherboard. this is my 4th motherboard that has ben the most stable.
                          I wanted to find out what type of DDR3 ram I should get for high performance and gaming. I was looing at the OCZ reaper, but if there is something better please let me know. I want my system to be faster for the video card and ram and when the price drops on the latest 45nm 775 socket chip (1333 bus) I will get it and not wory about a bottleneck anywhere.. any advice is greatly appriciated. (and if I should get the ATI 4870 or a nvidia card, as I have a physix card too).
                          thanks!
                          ironleg

Comment

I suggest Mushkin if you plan to get DDR3, and Sapphire 4870's are nice. But Which brand of card is really up to you, but keep in mind you can use 2 ATI based cards in your board together

Would you mind posting your settings and I will see if I see anything "Off" >>>

Have you ran memtest86+ on this ram lately, or at all? If you haven't or haven't lately please do with only one stick at a time in slot one. You may have dying ram, or just incorrect settings

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
                            CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
                            CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
                            CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
                            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
                            C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
                            System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
                            DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
                            Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
                            Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
                            Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
                            ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
                            Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
                            Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
                            Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
                            Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
                            Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
                            Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
                            DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
                            PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
                            FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
                            (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
                            CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                            No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                            C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                            x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                            CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                            CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                            Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Comment

Have you run Memtest? If not, how are you sure where to pinpoint the source of the data corruption?

If you have tried Memtest and not had any errors, have you tried your own Hard drive manufacturers Disk Diagnostics? .

Have you run Checkdisk? with the switches... (change c: for whatever partition you are checking)

chkdsk c: /r /v

for a summary of the switches, use chkdsk /?
                              GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Comment

Working...
                              X