GA-P35-DS3 New Build Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3 New Build Problem

I have just built a new (partially) system but have used the same hard disk drive, CD drive and PSU. I have installed everything and I can get it to post and am able to enter the BIOS and make changes. I changed the CD drive to be the primary boot device and saved the settings. It says 'booting from CD drive' (or something close) then thats where things go wrong. The machine then: a) Attemps to boot into windows (and fails) OR b) says that 'windows has not been shut down correctly'. I then removed all boot areas in the BIOS except the CD drive and it still happens! How can I get it to boot from my XP CD so I can reformat and reinstall? My specs are below:

New hardware:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
    Memory: OCZ DDR2-6400 Platinum

Retained hardware from previous machine:
    Video Card: Geforce 8800GT
    Hard disk: Maxtor 300GB (6V300F0) SATAII
    CD/DVD: TSSTcorp CD/DVD
    PSU: Hiper Type-R Modular 580W
    Floppy Disk: 3.5in

OS to be installed:
    Microsoft XP Home (OEM) from CD

I have tried the HDD in both the purple and yellow SATAII slots. I only have one drive so I cant use RAID so the drive seems to be seen as IDE. Is this correct? The 'state LED' on the board near the memory are all on for the first part of the boot. Is this an error message? I can see the codes for the error beeps but cant see the bit on LED errors.

If you need any more information just ask. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: GA-P35-DS3 New Build Problem

Set your boot order like this>>>>
    1. Floppy
    2. Hard Drive
    3. CD

When turning your pc on, when you would normally hit Delete to enter BIOS, hit F12, and choose boot device, then choose your CD player by name. Then it SHOULD start the cd, and tell you to hit any key to boot from CD

Those are Energy LED's nothing to do with errors. To hear any error codes you would need a case speaker hooked into the board where you hooked up the front case switches.

Now you will need a few things set a certain way in the BIOS in the Integrated peripherals pages to use your hard drives depending on which port you have them plugged into.

I would for now since you only have one drive and are not sure about which use the purple, it is easier to setup. Make the top 2 SATA settings in Integrated peripherals Disabled, then towards the bottom where it says Onboard SATA device, choose enabled for Onboard SATA device, and the next one below that choose Disabled or IDE to use your drives as non RAID/Non AHCI.

If you want to use the yellow, the settings are those at the top of the Integrated peripherals page. First SATA setting you would choose Disabled, second you would choose Enabled.

Ok, I would bet you probably do not have any errors, except maybe memory voltages set improperly depending on what ram you have. You are probably just not getting anywhere because you are not properly booting from the CD is all.

Let me know if this helps you get windows installed, then I will help you with the MIT page if you want or need me to.

As you know, windows is usually a must/first! If you keep rebooting, you may need to set somethings in MIT first though, so let me know

Comment

Thanks for the detailed response.

I took the PC over to my friends house and after a while we changed to a new CD drive and tried again. It booted from the XP CD first time!

OK, is it normal that they should be all on at POST (including the red ones)? They all turn off shortly afterwards.

OK I am now using the purple SATA ports on the board.

After the XP CD loads up (I was never so happy to see a blue screen with 'XP Installation' on it before!) I chose the option to delete the partion and then chose to format it as NTFS. I see the partion screen at 0% and strangely it has been there for quite some time (10ish mins). I am reluctant to restart part way through a drive reformat but it looks like its crashed! Perhaps I need to tweak something in the MIT to make it a bit more stable?

Comment

Yes, they all will turn off after post if you have certain features disabled. I am not sure which ones or all of them, but it is the ones you disable to overclock, such as Speedstep, TM2, EIST, and CIA2.

I dont think you have things wrong in MIT to get that far, but you could. Did you load the SATA driver at the start of windows with the F6 option? I suppose so since you got to see the disk. Hmm I am not sure what to say without having access to look at your BIOS. If you want/can take some pictures and zip them and post, Ill see what If anything I see wrong

Comment

No I didnt. I thought because I was only using one drive and not using RAID or AHCI mode I wouldnt need to. The drive is seen as IDE i think? OK I will try that now and tell you if it still hangs on reformat. If I still have trouble I will get some pictures of the BIOS up.

Comment

Yes it will function as IDE, but you will need to load the Gigabyte SATA/Raid driver, be sure you pick the right one from the menu. If you have your manual it tells you how to make a floppy with the driver. You may not need it, but I am pretty sure you do.

I would go ahead and try another Quick Format again and see if it goes thru this time, if not try the driver

I wont be here much longer, so good luck! If you dont get it I will be back in about 7 hours, or possibly 14 depending on how work goes

Comment

Sorry about the slow response, Ive been a bit busy with work and such too so no worries. Your help is greatly appreciated by the way.

Well new update. I tried fully formatting the disk and the setup still hangs. I borrowed a disk from my friend (very similar SATAII Maxtor disk) and tried with that. Well it all worked and as I type windows has just finished installing on the machine. Its a little annoying as a new HDD is an expense I could do without but I am just releived that it is fixed!

One last thing I am going to try and do is run checkdisk on the bad drive and then reformat it, then try to clone across the windows installation from the good drive.

I will write here again when I have it all sorted just to let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help

Comment

Hmmm yeah it does sound like that disk somehow went bad then. Had you been using it just recently before you tried to use it in the new setup? It is pretty strange.

You can get seagate 250GB 7200/16MB Drives at Newegg for 60$ if you are in the US, that is what I use For RAID

Did you maybe not have the disk/partition set active somehow? Had you tried running Seatools for windows on it again like it was a new drive? To set it up for windows installation, Seagate and Maxtor are the same company now if you didnt know. If you want that link for the tool let me know

Comment

I was using it probably about 30 mins before I built the new machine with it! I can only think I must have given it a little bump that was enough to damage the disk (I dont remember doing it but it doesnt mean it didnt happen). I can access the drive and use it normally on other machines now its reformatted though.

Yea I am just downloading MAXBLAST (is that the seagate/maxtor program you meant?) to try and clone the drive that is working at the minute across onto it. If that doesn't work I will have to buy a new one. Unfortunately I am not in the US (although I was until this Wednesday, D'oh!), I am in the UK. Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens!

Comment

Ok status report. I successfully cloned the borrowed working drive onto the (suspected) bad drive. It workes fine and windows boots no problem and all is good. I have installed my basic drivers and utillities and made a backup using XpressRecovery2. Its very odd but at least my PC now works ok!

One quick question: I downloaded CPUZ to see if my processor was working at correct frequency and FSB and they are fine. I looked at my memory and the speed says 400mhz. Shouldnt PC-6400 be 800mhz? They are in dual channel so does that half the apparent speed of each or something? In the BIOS it is set to auto but has 800 in grey next to it. Would be great if you could help me get it set up fine then I will be away. Thanks again.

Comment

Nice to hear you are up and running. No the tool I mean was Seatools as I said, it is for maxtor and seagate drives. But you dont need it now anyhow.

400 is 800, DDR2 = X2

If you need anything else feel free to post

Comment

Ok thats great thanks, sorry about the confusion there. Glad its all working OK now anyway.

Thanks for all the help and time you have given.

Comment

The raw frequency of your memory is 400MHz but as its Double Data Rate that equals a 800MHz data rate.

Comment

Working...
                          X