Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX38-DS4 Multiplier problem

First, the basics:

Xeon 3110 (no attempted OCing) w/ Thermaltake CL-P0372 TMG i2 CPU Cooler (fits great!!)
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX
    PALiT NE/9600T+0152 GeForce 9600GT 512 MB DDR3
    ASUS BC-1205PT Blu-Ray ROM/DVD-RW (SATA)
    Samsung SH-S203B DVD-RW (SATA)
    Seagate ST3320620AS (boot)
    WDC WD5000ABYS (storage)
    HTO STRIKER 7.1
    Thermaltake W0129RU 600W

I'm no gamer, just looking for a VERY good HTPC (and the PALiT supports native HDMI, necessary for HDCP...I digress) Anyway, the multiplier on the 3110 kept showing up as 6, not 9. When I run EasyTune 5, up it goes... for a minute or two. So I (actually) read some of the various threads, and manually set as follows:

Voltage to 1.25000
    DDR2 Overvoltage +0.300V (to 2.10V)
    PCI-E Overvoltage +0.1V
    (G)MCH Overvoltage +0.100
    Set memory to 4-4-4-12

Boots into a 9 multiplier, but drops back again within a minute or so. I can crank it back up w/ EasyTune, but it will drop (even if I keep ET open). I know there's some ignorance on my part here; could someone tell the newbie where I'm screwing up? I love this setup, except that I have only a vague idea of what it's capable of! Thanks in advance.

Re: EX38-DS4 Multiplier problem

Those settings you see may or may not apply to your CPU and ram. The voltages and timings. Did you read the Guide that is pinned? It will help you much

But what it is, you need to disable a few things. Which normally only overclockers do, but these are what you need to disable for it to run always at 9 multi>>>>
    TM2, EIST, CIA2, and Speedstep Then set your clock ratio on 9 if it is not already

Comment

OK, think I've got it somewhat. Followed the directions in the Guide; thanks for that. Also, I uninstalled DES on my machine to make sure that wasn't the issue. made the adjustments you listed above except for Speedstep... couldn't find? Also: should I have SPD set to 2.40B for this mem/CPU arrangement? And since the Guide didn't specify voltage for an E8400/X3110, I set it to 1.3250; that's an educated guess from what I could find online.

System will go instantaneously to 3.0GHz with the 9 multiplier with demand, but when at rest drops to 2.0GHz/6. I ran Orthos for a couple of hours and it stayed right at 3.0, but dropped when I quit load. I'm relatively cool with that (my processor temp normally never gets to 30C!). Just wondering what I missed to keep it at 9 all the time. Solid otherwise.

Thanks.

Comment

Just wondering what I missed to keep it at 9 all the time.
        You missed disabling speedstep in the BIOS. It's best to leave it enabled if it doesn't cause any instabilities, as it saves a little energy.
        Take care,
        Rick
        GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

Yes, you must find and disable C1E, TM2, EIST, CIA2 and speedstep. I also am not seeing it in the images of you bios I have, but I am sure it is in the BIOS. Are you hitting Control + F1 on the main page? I know you dont have to anymore to see MIT advanced settings, but some things remain hidden if you do not in other sections

Ill reboot mine here in a few seconds and take a pic or tell you which section it is in, If I see it! HAHA I know it is there as I have it off myself.

Yes it saves power, but who cares! And you will not notice that on a power bill no matter how much someone tries to convince you it is going to save you in the end. Maybe 63 cents a year or so I think. I have seen a chart of the actual saving measured with a voltmeter and it does not really add up like you think (Or they want you to think) it does.

Ill post back in a second with my findings on where that is

Comment

Ya, I dont see it now either! I think they use the name C1E in The BIOS now. I think my 965 board said speedstep is what confused me. C1E is the same feature and I didnt mention it above so I think that is it for you. Did you leave it on? If so that is for sure it then, disable it

Comment

Thanks much. Will try in a couple of days (gotta leave now) but I will post results then. I'm sure that's gotta be it.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Yes, I am pretty sure it is as well, sorry for leaving that out above.

Good luck, and please feel free to post back if you have any other questions

Comment

Thanks to everybody for their help. C1E was indeed the problem, and she's now solid as a rock at rated numbers. Also thanks to Merman who advised me to back off on my CPU voltage (you can see above I was using OC voltage in a non-OC situation) and have that set at 1.225, which is where it was defaulting to.

Now the bad news: I'll probably be back to darken the door, uh, forum when I have some time to OC this thing myself.

Thanks again.

Comment

Glad you have found your issue solved. Yes, come back anytime if you need overclocking help and I will be glad to offer some advice

As for now.... Enjoy your board!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X