Problems overclocking EP35-DS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems overclocking EP35-DS3?

Hi, I just ordered an EP35-DS3 but now I hear that it doesn't overclock very well. Someone on another forum told me he tried "everything" but eventhough he disabled Eist he couldn't get it to remember the OC settings in the BIOS. On the same forum there are people who have managed to overclock with this board but to this day this specific person hasn't.
    I have also heard that this board has problems with SYS_FAN2 en de S3 standby.

All this makes me a bit nervous and I'm wondering if I made a mistake ordering this board. Is there any input you can give me on these subjects? Should I change my order for a P35-DS3R for example or are those not different in that aspect? You see, since I'm new to overclocking I need a board that is relatively easy to do it with..

Thanx!
    Last edited by net_skillz; 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM.

Re: Problems overclocking EP35-DS3?

Some have issues with Sys_2 fan, and some do not. A friend of mine has a DS4 sysfan_2 that does NOTHING. There is a few threads here addressing the issue. It does seem to be a luck of the draw thing. S3 standy I keep suggesting against since I see alot of RMA's due to users trying to keep using it, but I do see tons of people also getting it to work just fine, so that is up to you to attempt as well. With todays boards/CPU's and ram a fresh boot is no slower then a resume anyway, provided you do not have Norton installed!

A DS4 would be a better overclocking board then the DS3 models. The only difference between the two you mention is Intel Raid Chip.

As for overclocking, a DS4 would be better in that respect as well, but only because it has more and or finer options in the BIOS. Both overclock JUST FINE though, I used to overclock a 965p-S3 which is the cheaper models (The S3 variation I mean). Apparently that guy who you are speaking with doesn't know anything about overclocking I guess. And yes, you need to disable EIST, TM2, C.I.A.2, And C1E to overclock, maybe he just missed one of those and didn't read enough to know better. You also need to get your memory timings right, and voltages proper or the board will reset to defaults on you, so that is likely his issues. Not turning those things off or not getting his settings correct by starting at a higher point and working his way down. Some people just think you can set some low setting they found on the net and it should work, overclocking does not work that way. You have to start high, and work your way down testing for stability as you go.

There is a pinned guide I posted with TONS of overclocking tips and info. And of course once you get your I can help you out as well. It is very easy (Kinda! HAHA) but yeah you just need to read a bit about it all if you have never done it first. And remember it is all trial and error at the beginning until you know a bit more about it all

If you can afford it and still can cancel, the DS4 is a better choice overall, but do not worry you can overclock just fine with a DS3 of any variation
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

When is there going to be a new bios for this motherboard???
      The last one dates back to 4 January.
      Now they put another beta bios on the website (F3d) with date 27 March, which is also not true because that bios was not there until two days ago.

Are they just gonna keep releasing beta bios???

Comment

Soon as you try it and report back there will be one more persons feedback as to whether or not it helps or hurts
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-23-2008, 02:38 AM.

Comment

You really are not consequent with yourself, I have to say.
          Sometimes you tell people to install a beta and sometimes you advise against.
          Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Beta is Beta. And BIOS flashing is a "If it isnt broke dont fix it type of thing" Too late now I know, but I would have waited for the non beta.

Comment

And I say again >>>>

Beta is Beta. And BIOS flashing is a "If it isnt broke dont fix it type of thing" Too late now I know, but I would have waited for the non beta.

I said the above because complaining without a report about the beta progress helps nothing. If it is/was that important to you, you would have tried the beta already and posted about how good or bad it is.

I am consistent, Beta with anything is a end user risk and meant for qualified/willing end users to test and provide feedback. That is why the beta's are available to users, because Gigabyte or any company for that matter cannot test their beta's on Everyones hardware.

So in the end, it is up to YOU to help the progress.....Are you willing or not?

If not then you will just have to wait until the beta has been tested and feedback has been given to GA for them to fix or finalize the BIOS update.

Comment

So in the end, it is up to YOU to help the progress.....Are you willing or not?

If not then you will just have to wait until the beta has been tested and feedback has been given to GA for them to fix or finalize the BIOS update.
              I installed the F3b a while ago and posted here and at GGTS that it doesn't change anything.
              As usual no reply from GGTS.
              In what other way can I give them feedback?

Nevertheless, it is the first time I see two subsequent beta releases for a motherboard and no final release since the beginning of January (that is almost 4 months).
              My conclusion is that there are serious issues with this board and Gigabyte has no solution.

Comment

I am sure they sent your comments about it to the team that make the BIOS's to review and change things, hence a newer beta.

They have no need to reply to you, but be assured your feedback is looked at by the beta team, I am on MS beta and Symantec beta teams. And I assure you we look at ALL feedback, but like you see we do not reply to all. Some feedback do get replies, if needed to question something. If no question is needed then we just take that into account when reworking the next beta set

I assure you there is Several that you do not even see (Meaning they do not get posted to the webpage) that people out here test and provide feedback. The fact that you ARE seeing beta's being posted means there is progress with the beta team, and those who get unreleased beta BIOS's to test. The ones that get posted are likely the work of several BIOS's before the one that is posted.

If you hate your board, RMA it. No need in giving yourself a headache over something like this.

Comment

A DS4 would be a better overclocking board then the DS3 models. The only difference between the two you mention is Intel Raid Chip.
                  I'm not getting the DS4 because it would simply put me too much beyond my budget (actually I allready am) for this new system. I guess I'll have to do with the DS3. I do have a question though... If the only difference between these two is the RAID chip, then what is the difference between the EP35-DS3 and the P35-DS3?
                  You also need to get your memory timings right, and voltages proper or the board will reset to defaults on you, so that is likely his issues. Not turning those things off or not getting his settings correct by starting at a higher point and working his way down.
                  The guy I'm talking to actually had problems setting his voltages. The board simply wouldn't retain them... And since you point out the importance of this I'm starting to get worried about my choice of RAM (Kingston ValueRam KVR800D2N5K2 4G 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2x2GB). I have been told on 2 other forums that Kingston Value RAM should do fine for me (and should even make it to 3,6GHz). If I simply look at what I understand from bus speeds I think that is corect but I'm unsure how to take timings and such into account. I want to OC a Q6600 to about 3,0GHz I did change it from 2 to 4 GB and these are CL5 instead of CL6 but do you agree?
                  There is a pinned guide I posted with TONS of overclocking tips and info. And of course once you get your I can help you out as well. It is very easy (Kinda! HAHA) but yeah you just need to read a bit about it all if you have never done it first. And remember it is all trial and error at the beginning until you know a bit more about it all.
                  Yep, I read through that guide (and 2 others) allready. I really want to know what I'm doing because I prefer not to damage my hardware. The thing is that it stays theory as long as I'm only reading and I can't test it untill I get my new system. I do want to make sure that my harwdware can do what I want to do with it...

Comment

The EP35 has DES a energy saving feature, that is all. So not worth extra (if it is) if you plan to overclock because you wont use the application anyway

That ram is fine

Dont worry, you wont damage anything, just dont push to much volts into anything and you will be fine

Comment

The thing is that my supplier does not have all the models. Since they don't have the P35-DS3, I had to choose between the P35-DS3L, the EP35-DS3 and the P35-DS3R, which are in or closest to my budget. The P35-DS3L is the cheapest in the bunch but I think it is a bit less durable than the other two. The P35-DS3R is 6 Euros (Yes I live in The Netherlands), which is about $10 more expensive than the EP35-DS3. Since I won't be using RAID, I decided to limit my overspending en take the EP35-DS3....

Comment

Ahh well good choice then If it is in your range. Since GA does not list that board on thier site, I just thought I would let you know some GA boards do have RAID whether or not they have the Intel ICH9R chip or not. If your board does it will have 2 Purple ports, that use a Gigabyte/J.Micron chip to do raid with. Some have it some do not, and I cannot see that board listed at GA site, So I cant say to you for sure but the GA-P35-DS3 model does have them so it is 95% likely that the EP35 model does as well.

If you see 2 Purple ports in the image you see then you can still do RAID anyway, so just a bonus for you to look forward to if you do have 2 disks, RAID 0 or 1 I believe no JBOD though.

RAID 0 FOR SURE

Comment

They are listed on the EU site! I couldn't figure it out from the pictures. I found one purple port on my board. Maybe you can figure it out EP35-DS3, P35-DS3R.
                          Looking at the comparison sheet I do think you are right. The "R" version additionally supports RAID 5 & 10.
                          Looking at all of this I'm becoming convinced that I chose the best board in my range. The R version would have given me something extra that I will never use!

Comment

Yeap! It has the 2 purple ports for the GA/J.Micron RAID controller, so even if you do not want RAID you can do it for free.

I personally like the GA/J.Micron RAID over the Intel one anyway, But that is my opinion.

Comment

I actually thought of using RAID 0 but because of the increased risk of data los I decided against it. I know there are ways around that but then I would need even more discs an then it's not worth the money to me..

Comment

Working...
                              X