Vista 64 memory utilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista 64 memory utilization

I have 4gb of mem. Turned off page file for performance gain. No probs till recently. Low mem error popped up. Looked at usage and 3.2gb of mem being used. SeachIndexer.exe using 120mb and svchost using 180mb. Never seen these two services using sooo much memory. Looked up on internet, specifically msdn. Peeps had usual prob with searchindexer using up 100% cpu and one person had searchindexer using 850mb of RAM. No resolutions to issues though.

Anyone know why all of the sudden these two services are using so much memory and how I can stop it?

Thanks

Re: Vista 64 memory utilization

NO matter what you hear or read turning off the pagefile is never good. Some apps use it no matter if they need to or not. Best to make a new pagefile, a small one if you want....but best to have one nonetheless

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      NO matter what you hear or read turning off the pagefile is never good. Some apps use it no matter if they need to or not. Best to make a new pagefile, a small one if you want....but best to have one nonetheless
      Perhaps, I think I shall do that. Make a small one. But the problem is not the page file or the lack of memory per-se it's more to why is the seachindexer and svchost using so much memory? Later that night I killed the svchost and I had no system troubles because of it. So whatever it was doing could not of been important. I also turned of the indexer because it was thrashing my hdd all night. So the question is: why are these two services all of a sudden having issues? How can I find out what they are doing?

Comment

They are likely just indexing your system. The index reruns after formats, new installs, changes ect. You can change it to run less when you are not using your system rather then when you are in control panel , indexing options

Svchost is a bit harder to tell, MANY things use this and it could be MANY different things at once running separate services of it. It could likely be using to much due to there was no pagefile and it was working too hard because of that. It could also be a Virus or spyware labeled as svchost, what virus app do you use, and what spyware apps do you run weekly or whenever?

Comment

They are likely just indexing your system. The index reruns after formats, new installs, changes ect. You can change it to run less when you are not using your system rather then when you are in control panel , indexing options

Svchost is a bit harder to tell, MANY things use this and it could be MANY different things at once running separate services of it. It could likely be using to much due to there was no pagefile and it was working too hard because of that. It could also be a Virus or spyware labeled as svchost, what virus app do you use, and what spyware apps do you run weekly or whenever?
          Yea, my paranoia kicks in with that svchost utilizing so much memory. It's propably utilizing alot of cpu time too but it's hard to tell on a quad...it's not so obvious. The protection I use is Norton 360 v1 almost the latest and greatest and it is updated. What kind of concerns me as that out of paranoia I started turning off services one by one to see which one was using the svchost. I got to Remote Control Manager which was a service listed as manual when I tried to turn it off it refused me. Then I tried killing by killing RasMan which is it's associated process, again, notta. Then I tried "sc" cmd prompt service control and again notta.

Though I use remote desktop every day from work so I need that service on anyway, but it troubled me that it not give me the option to kill it.

After I have killed that one instance of svchost taking so much memory my screen blinked and it went away. It restarted itself three or four times. After being persistant in killing it, it finaly gave up and did not reapear till I rebooted the computer.

I did a full scan of the computer. And notta.

Suppose you could be right. No page file is causing svchost to use more mem.

Comment

Could be, or the Norton Service (I hate Symantec, and I beta Test for them.....ONLY in Vmware for SURE though) NOD32 all the way!!!

It could be one of the norton services calling svchost without it showing as such, ya never know.

Did you try changing those services as the ACTUAL admin. Not the same as being a Admin. There is a few ways to do this in vista, here is how to logon as THE ADMIN >>>>

*Actually* login as an Administrator in Vista

1. From the Start menu, go to "All Programs", "Accessories"
            2. Right-click on "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as Administrator"
            3. In the resulting Command window, run "regedit"
            4. Create the following value, type DWORD (32 bit), value 1
            HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserLis t\Administrator
            5. From the command prompt enter: "net user Administrator /Active:yes"
            6. Reboot, and now you can logon to the Administrator account

Easiest Way

Right click on ''Computer -> Manage -> Local Users and Groups -> Users
            -> Rightclick Administrator -> Properties -> Unchecked ''Account is disabled''.

**Sidenote**
            If you want your Administrator acount as the only primary account.
            Rightclick on Your Username -> Delete. ***NOTE*** ONLY do this when you first install, not after you have been using the system for any period of time

With the Administrator Account you don't have UAC or any other things you can't change or edit.
            Full Privileges

Comment

Could be, or the Norton Service (I hate Symantec, and I beta Test for them.....ONLY in Vmware for SURE though) NOD32 all the way!!!

It could be one of the norton services calling svchost without it showing as such, ya never know.

Did you try changing those services as the ACTUAL admin. Not the same as being a Admin. There is a few ways to do this in vista, here is how to logon as THE ADMIN >>>>
              I tried things logged on as Admin. Vista64 is kind of a stink about the admin thing and it angers me. My account I use is a member of Admins and in past version of windows that was sufficient as it should be. I work for IT at my company I couldn't imagine loggin on as admin everytime I wanted to get things done. If your part of admin group you should an admin and everything you do should be considered as being done from an admin...geesh...sorry for the rant.

Yea, your right. Norton is getting kind of old and bloated. It would be nice to have a effective virus prog that has a light load. Does NOD do security though? If not, have any suggestions?

Thats one thing I like about Norton that it take care of security and virus. I had had some trouble with it though, caught a virus even though it was totaly updated and all. :(

Thanks

PS: That damn svchost is still running in the 180mb range. Even with a small page file. Turned the page file off though because I have IDE HDD's and it slows **** down. Try not to use them as much as possible. Gotta to spend the $ to get SATA. Hate to just throw away 400gb's of drive space though.

EDIT: NOD eeks no 64bit version?
              Last edited by TitusCicero; 05-02-2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Yes, there is NOD32 x64 versions. And there is a FULL system Suite, Spyware, Firewall, and Antivirus. There is also Antivirus only x64

Works Great, here is the product page, I highly suggest this over anything!!!

Eset NOD32 Smart Security Suite (AIO)

# Processors supported: 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) Intel®, AMD® or 100% compatible
                # Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP (32 and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit editions)

Firewall, Antivirus, Antispam: ESET Smart Security Has It All

Eset NOD32 AntiVirus Only

# Processors supported: 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) Intel®, AMD® or 100% compatible
                # Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP (32 and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit editions)

Antivirus Protection for Your PC: Antivirus for Windows XP and more

Comment

No matter how much system memory you have, anyone who turns off their page file needs their head red.

Comment

Working...
                  X