BIOS including RAM Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS including RAM Questions

I have everything installed and now setting up the BIOS. There are quite a few questions I need help on in the BIOS. For reference, I have the EX38-DS4 board and E8400 CPU FSB 1333MHz. Now, please tell me how to set the following (I do not want to overclock):

1. No-Executable Memory Protect

2. CPU Enhanced Halt (EIE)

3. CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (CTM2)

4. Virtualization Technology

5. Init Display First--I set it to PEG because I think that's what it should be using my PCI-E x16 video card--is that correct?

6. ACPI Suspend Type: S1 or S3?

7. Vcore shows 1.204V

8. Robust Graphics Booster is set to Auto

9. CPU Clock Ratio is set 9X

10. Fine CPU Clock Ratio--0.0

11. CPU Freq: 3.00GHz 333.9

12. CPU Host Clock Control: Disabled?

13. CPU Host Frequency MHz 266 -- is that good or should it be changed?

14. PCI-Express Frequency (MHz) Auto

15. System Memory Multiplier SPD (Auto)

16. Memory Frequency MHz 800

Standard Timing Control:

5, 5, 5, 15 matches RAM card specs, but I don't know at what voltage in BIOS.

Advanced Timing Control:

Act to Act Delay (tRRR) 3 Auto

Rank Write to Read Delay: 3 Auto

Write to Precharge Delay: 6 Auto

Refresh to Act Delay: 52 Auto

Read to Precharge Delay: 3 Auto

Static +Read Value: 7 Auto

Static +Read Phase Adjust: 17 Auto

Command Rate: 2

CPU/PCIE-X Clock Driving Control: 800mV

CPU Clock Skew Control: Normal

GMCH Clock Skew Control: Normal

System Voltage: Manual

DDR Over Voltage: Normal

All Normal except Loadline Calibration is set to Auto

Normal CPU VCore: 1.22500V

Help!

Re: BIOS including RAM Questions

1. No-Executable Memory Protect <<< Leave Or Enable if not already

2. CPU Enhanced Halt (EIE) <<< Leave (EIST)

3. CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (CTM2) <<< Leave

4. Virtualization Technology <<< Enabled if you want to use 64bit system in Vmware, or visa versa depending on your Actual Operating system

5. Init Display First--I set it to PEG because I think that's what it should be using my PCI-E x16 video card--is that correct? << Correct PEG = PCI-Express Graphics

6. ACPI Suspend Type: S1 or S3? <<<< Set to S3, but DO not use standby/sleep/resume/suspend in your Operating system. Gigabyte boards tend to have Issues with sleep, and since you are not a overclocker you dont want to keep trying different voltages trying to get it to work. And when it fails at any setting you risk damaging the BIOS and needing a RMA

7. Vcore shows 1.204V

8. Robust Graphics Booster is set to Auto <<<< Leave or set to fast

9. CPU Clock Ratio is set 9X <<< Leave

10. Fine CPU Clock Ratio--0.0 <<< Leave

11. CPU Freq: 3.00GHz 333.9

12. CPU Host Clock Control: Disabled? <<< Enabled Set to 333 for 3Ghz

13. CPU Host Frequency MHz 266 -- is that good or should it be changed? << Should be 333

14. PCI-Express Frequency (MHz) Auto <<<< Set to 100, Very Important!!!

15. System Memory Multiplier SPD (Auto) <<< set to 2.4 (2.4X 333 FSB = 800Mhz ram)

16. Memory Frequency MHz 800

Standard Timing Control: Set to Manual and enter 5-5-5-15 For the rest I need to know your ram brand and sizes IE 2x1 or 2x2 . I will post settings, but use the highest and then move down ONE AT A TIME Testing after each move

5, 5, 5, 15 matches RAM card specs, but I don't know at what voltage in BIOS.

Advanced Timing Control:

Act to Act Delay (tRRR) 3 Auto <<< 3-4

Rank Write to Read Delay: 3 Auto <<< 4 < try 4 last use 9-11 first

Write to Precharge Delay: 6 Auto <<< 3-5

Refresh to Act Delay: 52 Auto <<<< 42

Read to Precharge Delay: 3 Auto <<< 3-5

Static +Read Value: 7 Auto <<< 7-10

Static +Read Phase Adjust: 17 Auto <<< Leave on Auto, 1-31 or Zero

Command Rate: 2 <<< Leave

CPU/PCIE-X Clock Driving Control: 800mV <<< Leave

CPU Clock Skew Control: Normal <<< Leave

GMCH Clock Skew Control: Normal <<< Leave

System Voltage: Manual

DDR Over Voltage: Set manually to the spec on your ram (Which you didnt list) likely 2.1 so +0.3. Check on the sticker or package, or post your ram brand and model # and I will find for you

All Normal except Loadline Calibration is set to Auto <<<< Leave on auto if not overclocking

Normal CPU VCore: 1.22500V <<<< Leave or set on default voltage manually

Comment

4. Virtualization Technology : I will be using Vista Ultimate 64-bit, do I select Enabled?

6. ACPI Suspend Type: S1 or S3? S3 is what you recommend, but your guide states S1. Any reason for the change? You say not to put my computer to sleep, not even using keyboard? So, no screen saver?

13. CPU Host Frequency MHz 266--you said 333, so I just change within that setting?

My RAM is 2x2GB for total of 4GB of G. Skill RAM with stated spec of 1.8-1.9V. What do you suggest for this RAM 1.8 or 1.9? Also, now that you know my RAM, what suggestions do you have for those settings in my first post above?

Should I disable Legacy USB Storage Detect? I am not using any USB storage device.

I always installed the OS before connecting to Internet, would you suggest I plug in the DSL connection before loading Vista Ultimate 64-bit?

Edit: Thought you should also know my RAM is PC6400 DDR2 800
      Last edited by JVM; 05-14-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

4. No, only matters if you are using a Virtual Machine such as vmware, or similar where you would run a 32bit system in a virtual environment

6. S1 or S3, it does not matter since I suggest to NOT USE SLEEP. You can try it, but I doubt you will have any luck Screensavers yes you can use, but disable sleep alltogether unless you plan to try it

13. Yes, you must enable CPU host Clock Control first then set to 333, it should be by default so I assume you upgraded from a 1066 CPU without a BIOS update correct? If so whether you load a new BIOS or not before making all these changes you should go in the BIOS and select "LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS" then save and apply, reboot and then come in and make your changes

Ok for your ram, I suggest +0.1V for 1.9V For the Subtimings and other voltages I suggest these as starting points >>>
        ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
        Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11 (may need higher, but not likely)
        Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-5
        Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
        Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
        Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
        Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 Leave on Auto or 1-31 or 0

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
        DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V]
        PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
        FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
        (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125/+0.150] <<< For stability, start with +0.1

Yes, disable Legacy USB storage Detect, and USB mouse and Keyboard (Even if you are using them they will work fine)

As for the internet, that does not matter, either way

Comment

"Ok for your ram, I suggest +0.1V for 1.9V"

Problem is I don't know what the present setting is. I knew where to find this info on my old MB, but I don't see the RAM voltage in BIOS with this board. How do I check it?

No, I did not upgrade from a 1066 CPU or update the BIOS (my board came with F3 BIOS, latest for this board). This is a new system with new components in a new case.

Before I mess with the settings below, please confirm they are valid without knowing what my present RAM voltage is.

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
          Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11 (may need higher, but not likely)
          Write to Precharge Delay_________ 3-5
          Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
          Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
          Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
          Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 Leave on Auto or 1-31 or 0

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
          DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V]
          PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
          FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For stability
          (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125/+0.150] <<< For stability, start with +0.1

Comment

Also, you said " Yes, disable Legacy USB storage Detect, and USB mouse and Keyboard (Even if you are using them they will work fine)"

I first tried my USB keyboard with the settings as you suggest for Keyboard and Mouse, but I couldn't get into BIOS until I put a PS/2 adapter on my USB cable. So, I don't think it works disabling USB support for keyboard.

Comment

Ahh, well you do have a OLD BIOS then. on the MAIN BIOS page hit "Control + F1" then the screen will flash, the go into MIT section and you will see the voltages and subtimings

*EDIT* just FULLY Noticed what you said..... your comment about latest bios...

Well then if that is the case you should be able to see all timings and Voltage settings already in the MIT section DDR2 is ram voltage, did that confuse you? If not, what do you mean by you do not see ram voltages in the BIOS on this board????

Auto or default is 1.8 so you want +.1 for 1.9. Do not leave on Auto as sometimes is uses more the 1.8 or even 1.9, Manually set this for sure

Yes all settings are correct

About the keyboard Hmm I have BOTH mine disabled and they are both USB, maybe it is just keyboard mouse specific. Well leave those on then, just disable USB storage detect

Comment

I went into M.I.T. and that's how I gave you all those RAM settings in the BIOS. I am still unsure of where that RAM voltage is in M.I.T. I do see System Voltage Contol and DDR2 OverVoltage Control but don't know which if any of those two is Memory voltage. What is Gigabyte's terminology for memory voltage? System Voltage Control? Or?

Edited: Sorry, just read your post again and see you say it's "DDR2 is ram voltage."

Thanks, and sometime tonight I will go in there and make the changes and run memtest. How many passes should I run before exiting?
                Last edited by JVM; 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Just realized I didn't see DDR2 except DDR2 OverVoltage Control, which was set at Normal. Do you mean DDR2 OverVoltage? If that is so, I will look again but I don't think it stated any specifics, only Normal.

Comment

I followed your instructions and the system just kept cycling off and on! I can't do anything with the computer! There was a warning when I changed CPU Host Clock Control to Enabled and set CPU Host Frequency to 333. I don't know why you wanted me to do that since my RAM timings were accurate with Manufacturers specs at 5-5-5-15 and memory frequency at 800. I also got a warning System Voltage NOT optimized and had Performance Enhanced set at default Turbo, which the BIOS wanted me to change to Standard.

Anyway, what do I do now that the system just cycles off and on?

Comment

I looked in the manual and used a screwdriver to clear CMOS. I then went into the BIOS and selected Load Optimized Defaults, and then went about configuring the BIOS. What I discovered was CPU Host Frequency that was 266 before is now 333, which is what you wanted.

Now, the BIOS has detected my RAM at the manufacturers specs of 5-5-5-15 and default voltage according to you is 1.8 and that is also with specs of 1.8-1.9. So, I don't see where anything has to be done with the timings.

Oh, and my manual says PCI-Express Frequency is 100MHz by default.

This is the first time in my entire life that I had to clear the BIOS and reload default settings. I am done with that scene.

Unless I have a problem, I will leave the timings alone.

What about Soft-Off? Instant Off or delay 4 seconds?

Comment

Right!

Yeah you should always load and save/apply optimized defaults for a New BIOS or CPU. And with this being a fully new build you should have done the same as well. But at least you got it now

I still suggest you Manually set the ram timings and voltages, On auto that will bounce around while you are using your system to anything the board decides it wants to do.

The manual says that only if you leave everything on AUTO, changing one things changes that. ALWAYS set every board you own to 100 LOCKED. So Please manually do this, it could save you from a corrupt hard drive later on!!! Again, Auto is not Constant and could be 100 today yet 112 tomorrow if you do not set this yourself

As for Sort-Off PWR-BTTN that is up to you, it means your actual power button on your case. Instant off means soon as you push the power button on your case the System will begin to shut down. 4 Seconds means you will need to hold the power button down for 4 seconds to begin the shut down process (Like you used to HAVE to with some systems) Just a user preference really, so it is all up to you.

Comment

You jump around, too! I looked at your guide and see you suggested to use Delay 4 Seconds because that allows time for the disk drive buffers to flush--whatever that means. You even say this setting is "Highly recommended."

So, why the turn around from that suggestion?

When I was changing the timings, Performance Enhancement was set at the default Turbo, and I got a strong warning from the BIOS to change that. If I selected Standard, then the warning went away, but I left it at Turbo--maybe that was the reason it cycled and went screwy?

There was another warning--same as you stated to ignore in tweaking guide--and I ignored it as you said. Oh, that warning was about System Voltage NOT Optimized.

So, do you think I should change Turbo to Standard when changing the timings?

Comment

Just so you know that If you fully read my Guide you would see it is NOT MY GUIDE. I even asked for and got permission to post it here to help others and wrote about who wrote it and gave me permission at the begining and end.

I have not read that about the buffers, and yes that would be a good idea. I peronsally must have overlooked it, but I use the power button in my system anyway not on my case so I am all good.

I would say if you do use your actual power button then use the 4 seconds, either way shutting down your system like that 4 seconds or not makes windows have errors and will tell you it was not shut down properly. That is why I said it is up to you, most people rarely shut their system down this way so I thought it did not matter much. That is a good guide, but I have only read and or used the overclocking tips in it.

But yeah it is well written by a good guy, so best to follow his suggestion there

Performance Enhance should always be on standard unless you are not overclocking. Which is in the guide! J/K You should leave on standard because anything more makes changes at different times which you have no control over and will override your settings and mess things up

As for the warnings that one is warranted, but the rest of the voltage warnings you can ignore.

Comment

I really liked the Instant-Off feature, but if what he says is true, then I have to go with Delay 4 Seconds. I am not sure how important that is for my Hitachi hard drives because they park and un-park the heads.

Anyway, you convinced me to do the clear CMOS again, err, I mean, change RAM timings.

Seems like maybe not changing that Turbo setting caused the cycling problem (Turbo is the Default setting). Rather than mess around too much with the timings, after putting in the manufacturer specs of 5-5-5-15, how about me just manually setting the rest of what the BIOS shows? I know those settings are not quite what you suggest, but I could leave them on Manual setting and not fuss with it if not having any problems. Sound good to you?

I have to tell you that with my present system, I only set the first 4 settings for timings and haven't had a problem at all. I have the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core, and Corsair 3200CPT (2GB) installed.

I have to go out soon, but I will change the settings when I get back, probably tonight. I really want to get this settled so I can load Vista.

Oh, one more thing, I probably should test the RAM before loading Vista, so how long do you suggest I run memtest?

By the way, I noticed CPU temp in BIOS doesn't give temperature for each core, states around 27C, and I know I need Real temp, but System temp in BIOS of around 35-36C seems a bit higher than I thought would be the case at idle in BIOS. What is the range for desirable system temp?

Comment

Working...
                              X