Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev 2.0) & Crucial Ballistix RAMs POST problem

Hi all,

Please, I need some help with the following annoying problem.

My motherboard GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev 2.0) cannot boot up reliably with 4 RAM modules from Crucial (Crucial Ballistix 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - Model BL2KIT12864AA804). The motherboard is flashed with the latest BIOS firmware version FG.

Each RAM is tested individually and passed stringent memory tests with no problem. When 2 RAMs are used in any 2 slots, the motherboard boots up ok (100% reliability). But when 4 RAMs are used, it does NOT POST most of the time (less than 5% reliability). The PC case indicators just flash for .5 sec and won't boot. It has the same problem with 3 RAMs. The memory is set manually with correct voltage (2.2V) in the BIOS and its timing is 4-4-4-12. The system uses the Antec Smart Power 2 500W power supply.

When the system was able to boot with 4 RAMs, I did the ORTHOS test for 4+ hours without any problem. The current "solution" is to remove 2 RAMs, boot up, wait for awhile (sometimes days), then re-insert the other 2 RAMs. It's a hit-and-miss and does not guarantee to work.

I like these Ballistix RAMs and prefer to keep them. Anyone has any idea, please?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-M57SLI-S4(rev. 2.0)
    M/B Rev : 2.0
    BIOS Ver : FGa
    VGA Brand : ATi Model : 2400 PRO
    CPU Brand : AMD Model : x2 5600 Speed : 3.0 Ghz (232*13)
    Operation System : Win XP P64-bit
    Memory Brand : Crucial Type : DDRII
    Memory Size : 4G (4x1G) Speed : 800
    Power Supply : Antec 550 W
    Artic Cooling 64 heat sink
    3 SATA-II Hard Drives (150 GB Raptor, 320 GB Maxtor, 500 GB Seagate)
    1 DVD/RW+ Drive
    3 80mm fans

Re: GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev 2.0) & Crucial Ballistix RAMs POST problem

You should loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15 until you get this fixed up. Then you need to add some MCH (Northbridge or memory controller I cant remember AMDs wording) voltage

I would bring the ram down to 2.1 unless you want to RMA them quickly. Most rams spec is not needed and will run under spec in most all cases. 2.2 is WAY hot on crucials and they will die on your very quickly at that!

If you would post ALL your Settings and what you are using in them on the overclock page I could better suggest things to you, or a pic would do fine too

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions! I paid more attention to the HT values and set the K8-NB HT Speed to 4x (instead of Auto = 5x). So far so good. ORTHOS is currently running fine in 2+ hours. CPU-Z shows 930 MHz for the current HT Link.

When lowering the RAM voltage to 2.1v, ORTHOS failed in about 2 minutes. So I reset it back to 2.2v which is the voltage specification for these Crucial Ballistix modules (model BL2KIT12864AA804). Here's the RAM timings:

Manual DDR 800
      CAS Latency Time________________ 4
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 4
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12
      Command Timing _________________ 2T
      Command Delay __________________ 3T
      Trfc0 DIMM1 ____________________ 105 ns
      Trfc2 DIMM2 ____________________ 105 ns
      Trfc1 DIMM3 ____________________ 105 ns
      Trfc3 DIMM4 ____________________ 105 ns
      Write Recovery Time ____________ 6
      Precharge Time _________________ 3
      Row Cycle Time _________________ 24
      RAS to RAS Delay _______________ 3
      CKE Power Down Mode ____________ Enable

When running with 2 RAMs, my system is very stable at 4-3-3-12 timing. I'll try to be more aggresive with the timing for 4 RAMs later.

Thanks for your great help.

Comment

2.2 is going to kill you ram very quickly. If orthos failed with 2.1 it is because you have too tight of timings. Which I see row cycle time, should be 42-52 with 4GB

But it is all up to you what voltage you use, 2.2 is the MAX warrantied, not the voltage it has to have to run stable. If you feel you must leave it there, at least get a fan on them so you dont join the RMA club so quickly

Comment

Originally posted by tqn View Post

When lowering the RAM voltage to 2.1v, ORTHOS failed in about 2 minutes. So I reset it back to 2.2v which is the voltage specification for these Crucial Ballistix modules (model BL2KIT12864AA804). Here's the RAM timings:

Manual DDR 800
          CAS Latency Time________________ 4
          Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
          Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 4
          Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12
          Command Timing _________________ 2T
          Command Delay __________________ 3T
          Trfc0 DIMM1 ____________________ 105 ns
          Trfc2 DIMM2 ____________________ 105 ns
          Trfc1 DIMM3 ____________________ 105 ns
          Trfc3 DIMM4 ____________________ 105 ns
          Write Recovery Time ____________ 6
          Precharge Time _________________ 3
          Row Cycle Time _________________ 24
          RAS to RAS Delay _______________ 3
          CKE Power Down Mode ____________ Enable

When running with 2 RAMs, my system is very stable at 4-3-3-12 timing. I'll try to be more aggresive with the timing for 4 RAMs later.

Thanks for your great help.
          wow, that quick huh? I have the same ram on a EP35-DS4 and I can run the advertised DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 100% stable at 1.9v (1.89v shown in monitoring software).

Comment

See, Most users will not believe me that 2.1 or lower is better!!!

Thanks for the post

Comment

The cold boot POS problem still remains despite lowering the timing (DDR2-667, 5-5-5-18), the RAM voltage (2.0v), the HT speed (4x), and no CPU overclocking.

When shutting down the PC for a long period (overnight), it cannot POST with 4 RAMs. As soon as 2 RAMs are removed, it boots up. Then I immediately put back in 4 RAMs, it boots fine. When shutting down for a short period (less than 1 hour), it boots up.

Perhaps the motherboard needs a blanket or something to keep it warm! It's getting cold here in Australia. ;-)

Maybe the motherboard is bad. The Antec SmartPower 2 500W PSU should provide enough power, I believe. With the power to 3 hard disks and DVD disconnected, same boot up problem with 4 RAMs.

What else can I try?

OK, I'll keep the RAM voltage low. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Have you added memory controller voltage? I am not sure what it is called in AMD? HT voltage? I mean whatever is the NB voltage or memory controller, you will need more for 4 sticks, and as I said above Row to Cycle time must be raised for 4 sticks as well

Comment

Yes, I did try, raising HT-Link Voltage to +0.5, CPU HT-Link to +0.5 and Row Cycle Time to 48. Problem still remains.

Comment

Sorry, I remember setting the Row Cycle Time to the max value which is 26T in GA-M57SLI-S4 (not 48 in the previous post).

Comment

Well +.1 is what I would suggest just for stable use at stock, so you would likely need +.15 or +.2

Row to cycle time as I said above 52-62.... 68 may even be needed

Comment

Yes, tried +0.2v for both HT values. Row Cycle Time cannot be set beyond 26 (the dropdown menu lists up to 26 max). Maybe the next BIOS firmware would go beyond 26. Can someone from Gigabyte make a note of this please?

Comment

26 is the max? Is that board old?

Comment

This GA-M57SLI-S4 AM2 board was introduced two years ago, I think. I bought it new last year. I don't play any game and need at least 6 SATA connectors plus other decent features (SLI, Gigabit Ethernet, etc.), so I settled for this model (my first Gigabyte MB). At first I was using 2 OCZ RAMs (2x1GB), then switched to these Ballistix RAMs 4 months ago. That's when I noticed this annoying cold POST problem.

Anyway, it looks like we hit a brick wall. I probably would get 2x2 GB RAMs and give these Ballistix to my brother. Thanks again for all the advices...

Comment

Well you likely will run into issues with ANY 2x2 or 4x1 if you can only go up to 26 for that.

Best to stick to some good 2x1's or get a new board, you are not going to get anywhere stable with 4gb and only being able to choose 26, you need 52-62 at least

Comment

Working...
                              X