GA-P35-DS4 Crashes with USB MyBook HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS4 Crashes with USB MyBook HDD

I recently bought a GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.1 Bios F11.

I also bought a new USB MyBook 500Gb external HDD. I tried to format the hard drive three times, and the computer crashed each time. It would then go into an endless reboot cycle until I unplugged the HDD.

When the system crashed, it corrupted the OS. Thankfully I made images of the OS while I was building it, so I could go back to an OS version before plugging in a USB device.

I took the hard drive to my laptop, and it formatted fine; full format, not just the quick version.

I brought it back to my DS4 computer, plugged it in & began copying data onto it. Crashed the computer again.

I exchanged the hard drive, and plugged the new one in. Tried to format it, and the computer crashed again.

Set the Bios to safe mode, but the problem still happens.

Reloaded my OS (Windows XP), and put no applications on it. Was able to format it, but when I tried to copy data onto it, it crashed again.

All these crashes are endless loop crashes that cause the OS to corrupt & I have to reload the OS from backup image.

I also had a problem with my USB memory stick reader, it caused programs to lock up.

I installed a USB/firewire card, and connected my HDD to that instead. It still crashed, so I removed it.

I see from reading this forum that there is a recommendation to disable the "Legacy USB Storage Detect" in the BIOS. I did that, and it stopped the endless boot problem - it will now boot up with the HDD attached.

I'm trying now to copy files to the HDD & crossing my fingers that it will work.

Looking around with google, it appears others are having similar problems.
    Is there a known USB issue with the GA-P35-DS4 motherboard?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Carl
    Last edited by carlthulhu; 05-25-2008, 08:04 AM.

Re: GA-P35-DS4 Crashes with USB MyBook HDD

Well it is a issue to a point, if your MIT settings are fully stable and not all on AUTO that helps alot more.

I have NO USB issues, but I dont use a external storage so I cant comment if mine works good or not, but all my USB ports/Items I use work perfect

Comment

I have a 750gb WD mybook that stays connected most of the time. I also have a WD passport and a Hitachi 2.5" externals which one of the 2 usually ends up being connected untill I need it somewhere else.

Anyhow, no issue at all with any of em, even through reboots, on my former P35-DS4 v2.1 and current EP35-DS4.

Comment

Ditto here too .. 200 gb external with GA P35 DS4 rev 2.0
        No problems here even with 6 other usb devices been used

Comment

Ok, problem finally resolved.

Turns out the RAM was incompatible with the motherboard.

I had 2 sticks of Crucial Ballistix RAM, and replaced them with 2 sticks of Corsair RAM. System runs fine now, no more crashes.

I had used memtest86+ on the Crucial memory & it ran for 15 error-free passes before I stopped it. The Crucial memory isn't bad, just incompatible with the Gigabyte motherboard.

Hope this helps someone else, I've seen several similar problems described in various newsgroups while I was searching for the cure.

See others who came to the same conclusion at Newegg:

Peace,

Carl
          Last edited by carlthulhu; 06-01-2008, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Just keep that in mind if you see future problems arise quickly
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-30-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X