Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beep codes

I have a GA-M59SLI-S5.

When I boot up the PC from a cold start a get 2 beeps. One low and then one high. It is very hard to find beep codes for the award bios. I have swapped out the memory, video card, power supply, HD. Also I'm running linux if that matters. The computer seems to run fine but I don't want it to break at a later time because I didn't fix the problem now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm just short of buying a new MB.

Thanks.

Re: beep codes

Here is the beep codes from my manual, may not be the same as yours. But likely are since it is same type of BIOS.

You can also just grab your manual here, the beep codes are towards the bottom in the troubleshooting section
    GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-M59SLI-S5 (rev. 1.0)

Q:What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
    A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
    (For reference only.)
    1 short: System boots successfully
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
    1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
    1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
    Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
    Continuous short beeps: Power error

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I have my manual and did find those codes, they are just somewhat vague. I thought I might have a CMOS error, so I took the battery out for a few minutes and reinstalled, get the same beep errors. Am I really clearing the CMOS? Could this be a bios error? (I'm using the latest F8 version). Or even a power supply problem...

A couple times I have had the system do multiple short beeps (power problem). But it's only when shutting down and only occasionally i.e. once every 20 times or so.

Comment

Well to clear CMOS I put a hard drive or optical jumper on the clear CMOS pins, then unplug the power supply from the wall and let the PC sit for 10-20 minutes to be sure

CMOS error simply means you are trying way to tight of timings usually, if that is the beep you are getting

Comment

Working...
        X