GA-X48-DQ6 SATA DVD Drive help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X48-DQ6 SATA DVD Drive help?

So I've put together this system utilizing a pair of WD Raptors as the RAID 0 startup volume using the Intel ICH9R chipset. Naturally, I had the painstaking task of creating a floppy install for the drivers during XP setup (what a thrill).

Here's a few questions I have concerning drives, correct SATA configuration etc...

1. Was I supposed to install the Gigabyte SATA drivers via a floppy during XP install at the same time as the aforementioned Intel drivers for the system to take full advantage of the 300gbs transfer rates etc? I ask because I have a couple of matched 1TB Sumsung drives currently created via the Gigabyte BIOS setup utility to RAID 0 on the Gigabyte chipset. These are plugged into GSATAIIA/B connectors.

2. I'm getting substantially faster rip rates from an external older Hitachi DVD drive (via USB2) over a newly purchased Hitachi SATA DVD drive attached to the internal SATAII2 connector. Should it be placed elsewhere for a faster transfer rate? Would it be wise to alleviate the internal concept altogether and attach it via eSATA?

3. Is it possible theres a speed problem on the entire chain because I have a single Seagate 300 SATA connected to the SATAII3?

As always, many thanks for a great user community!

Addendum:

Ugh..transferring files from an external USB 2.0 WD Mybook to the GSATA RAID is taking significant time and shows anywhere between 17 minutes for a 30 Gig transfer to 118 minutes. Which could only mean theres a problem somewhere??

This is even after disconnecting the previous mentioned SATA DVD drive and the Seagate sharing SATAII2 AND 3.
    Last edited by ashlar; 06-13-2008, 10:41 PM.

Re: GA-X48-DQ6 SATA DVD Drive help?

No you can install the gigabyte drivers anytime since your OS is not on that chipset

Do you have the intel chipset installer installed? If not that coudl be affecting your DVD speeds >>>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

And no that extra drive should have no effect on anything else

Install the latest intel driver and see if it helps your transfer speeds. 30Gb is alot and should take a minute to transfer anyway thru a USB connection

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      No you can install the gigabyte drivers anytime since your OS is not on that chipset

Do you have the intel chipset installer installed? If not that coudl be affecting your DVD speeds >>>
      Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

And no that extra drive should have no effect on anything else

Install the latest intel driver and see if it helps your transfer speeds. 30Gb is alot and should take a minute to transfer anyway thru a USB connection
      I installed the drivers off the motherboards CD. The only item I didn't install was the dynamic energy saver.

I just did a speed test with the same file from USB 2.0 external to the RAID 0 startup and it took 10+ minutes for a 2 gig file. I then copied the same file from the RAID 0 startup to the GSATA RAID 0 and it took a mere 20 seconds (files copied from the external to the GSATA produced the same 10+ minutes results).

Since then I've tried using the Firewire on the WD to no speed improvements. Thus switching it back to the USB 2.0.

This is perplexing hehe

Comment

Copying from external is going to always be slower then internally for sure

As you see Copying from the USB storage to both raids separately you see the results to be more similar

I find the GA RAID to be faster then the Intel one, so that is what I use for my OS

Comment

Copying from external is going to always be slower then internally for sure

As you see Copying from the USB storage to both raids separately you see the results to be more similar

I find the GA RAID to be faster then the Intel one, so that is what I use for my OS
          Funny, someone told me the exact opposite but I trust your opinion more =D

I still cant ascertain what the SATA DVD conundrum is though =(

Comment

I dont see why someone would tell you the opposite. SATA II is WAY faster then USB 2.0 for sure.

Ya, I dunno why your external would be faster then your internal, other then maybe the external case's controller inside speeds things up substantially. Could it just be the drives themselves? I mean can you take the drive out of the external case and put the other drive in it and test to see if it is the external controller speeding it up or just the older drive is faster?

Comment

I dont see why someone would tell you the opposite. SATA II is WAY faster then USB 2.0 for sure.

Ya, I dunno why your external would be faster then your internal, other then maybe the external case's controller inside speeds things up substantially. Could it just be the drives themselves? I mean can you take the drive out of the external case and put the other drive in it and test to see if it is the external controller speeding it up or just the older drive is faster?
              Are we speaking about the DVD or WD MyBook?

In the case of the DVD conundrum, the external is an older IDE drive as opposed to the newer SATA. I don't have an external SATA enclosure to test the theory unless I connect the eSATA to the bare SATA drive.

The WD MyBook consists of 2 500 meg HDDs with RAID 0 config and comes encased in a USB2, Firewire 400 and 800 enclosure. Theres no way I could place that internally without jeopardizing the data no doubt =(

Comment

Ahh Yeah I meant the DVD external. I guess you cant test that then! Does your internal DVD drive have a jumper on it? IF so remove that and then test again. That may be why you are seeing a faster external DVD drive then the internal one if it is limited by a SATA I jumper

Comment

Ahh Yeah I meant the DVD external. I guess you cant test that then! Does your internal DVD drive have a jumper on it? IF so remove that and then test again. That may be why you are seeing a faster external DVD drive then the internal one if it is limited by a SATA I jumper
                  Nope. The DVD drive was manufactured in Feb 2008 and is completely modern with no jumper pins. Just a SATA cable and power supply. Interestingly I left the power attached to the DVD drive while being disconnected to the SATA connector and all the sudden I see a speed improvement after unplugging the power to it (I'll def have to remember that). I know its bad to mess around with a powered board but I live crazy now that I lost a couple fingers trying to snap those pins from the stock Intel fan to the board last night =D

Comment

Ahh just wondered. I know some new SATA hard drives still ship out with the limiting jumper on them so I thought I better ask.

That is strange about the Power cable for sure!!!

Comment

Thought I would bump this message as I have yet to find out why theres atill a problem with that SATA DVD drive.

Comment

What is the problem? I mean is it causing you errors, or just seeming slow to you?

Just ask again because I am not sure what you mean by dvd drive is slow? Burning or in Nero Disk Speed tests or similar or what did you mean?

Did you try moving it around to a different port?

Have you checked to see if maybe there is a Firmware update for that drive? Or known issues with it?
                        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-16-2008, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X